The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

I need ideas for stereo installation

i want to install a good system in ol red.nothing to fancy or elaborate just a simple head unit,a speaker or two under the dash pad if they mounted them that way in 78,a couple 6x9's behind the seat in a speaker box,im not really lookin to run an amp or subwoofer as im not into really loud or bass heavy sound i want to keep it simple.i also dont want to cut the dash since its one of the few square bodies ive seen that hasnt been cut up in the dash.it is a nice change to see that.im also considering putting a homemade center console between the seat and dash on top of the center hump with if possible a floor megashifter,area for cupholders and area for a cd player in it as long as the megashifter operation doesnt interfere with it when shifting through the gears.i threw in a couple shots of the interior to help give a better mental pic of what i mean.
Attached Images

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
dropd80s

Re: I need ideas for stereo installation

The console you mentioned would probably be the best if you dont want to cut the dash. I would stay away from the shaft stlye players that mount in the dash you have now with the remote mount CD changers, the kind they sell in LMC and JC Whitney. I have installed a few and they are very poor quality.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Kmart2352

I have a headliner in my truck that houses four 4 inch speakers above your head. This sounds very good and it has a big dome light. I think they are sold at LMC.
96 2wd Chevrolet S-10.

Kmart2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
1LowToy

I'm thinking along the same lines of making a console. Although I don't want to take the space for my Honey's leg room. You see this is the first vehicle in a long time that she can sit next to me. I have some real nice cherry wood so maybe something fabricated btween the dash and the floor yet leaving leg room for the Honey. I'm a leg man lol
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart2352 View Post
I have a headliner in my truck that houses four 4 inch speakers above your head. This sounds very good and it has a big dome light. I think they are sold at LMC.
yes i was lookng for one for one of my other trucks. i have the current lmc catalog and didnt see it. imma try jc whitney, they used to have them back in the day, but i dont have a current catalog to flip through. does yours have a opening for a radio up there also? i cant remamber but that would be nice and i think you could get them both ways, with or without it.
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropd80s View Post
The console you mentioned would probably be the best if you dont want to cut the dash. I would stay away from the shaft stlye players that mount in the dash you have now with the remote mount CD changers, the kind they sell in LMC and JC Whitney. I have installed a few and they are very poor quality.
thats what i was thinking too but i dont know alot about stereo installs other than how to do a very basic installation of one.i have a good cd player so unless i decide i want another one ill stick with the one i have.if the console idea ends up being a no-go then i will try an idea my uncle did in his 79.he didnt want to cut up his dash either so he found an underdash mounting kinda like something you would use with a cb radio.might go that route as it mounted right under the stock radio location.i also wonder where a person might find one of those items at?any continued input is definately welcome and encouraged.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

Old 03-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
74 C-30
Dually Pride

some one here put one in the dash a/c vent location, and just trimmed the trim to fit, wasn't it poke the smot?

'74 Chevy C-30 350/4 speed/dually
'94 Ford Ranger
74 C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 C-30 View Post
some one here put one in the dash a/c vent location, and just trimmed the trim to fit, wasn't it poke the smot?
not sure on that one.im actually going to get the a/c working in ol red when i put the V-8 in it.its a must have in central arizona during the summers.the summers here aint no joke besides ive drove enough vehicles with no air that it would be nice to have one which the a/c works.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
3QTRTONS

....Scosche makes an underdash stereo mount that'd probably work for what you want to do. 'Google' that name to get locations & prices. I saw it offered by WalMart for $14.88 & I'm sure you could get it elsewhere for similar money. JMO, but the front dash speaker replacement is a PAIN! Your idea for 6x9 boxes is a good one; or you can acquire a pair of OE metal frames and insert some NICE sounding modern 4x10 speakers into the cab corners - which was not unusual to see as an option in that era. No matter what, I wouldn't want a floor console getting in the way of my Honey's legs, or whatever......
1981 Jeep CJ5/350 Vortec
1941 Dodge WC18 Ambulance
2000 GMC Bus (parts warehouse)
3QTRTONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
bigblock73
yeller

I have some cab corner 6x9 speaker brackets that will fit your truck, check out the classified section. Don't waste your money on 4x10's, and don't waste the space behind your seat with carpeted boxes.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #11
TimQ

I just finished putting a new stereo in my truck. I wanted better radio reception and the ability to plug in my ipod or similar type MP3 player and, like you, I didn't want to cut up my dash. While I saw some of the expensive options (e.g., LMC's option with CD player and the stuff from vintagecarradio.com) I wasn't prepared to pay a few hundred bucks. Then I came across this simple solution:

http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xc4100.php

It's a simple post mount radio with a 3.5mm input for an ipod/MP3 player or any other device that has a 3.5mm output (e.g., anything you might plug typical ear buds into such as an old walkman CD player or something). I wish it had a digitial tuner, some presets, and the aux jack in the back instead of the front, but for less than $30 on amazon, I'm pretty happy with it.

For speakers, I had the single center speaker. I just went to the junk yard and pulled a set of 3 1/2 inch speakers with mounting brackets from the dash of a '91 suburban. I popped them into my dash without any trouble at all. I wasn't looking for concert hall quality, so I am fine with the sound I'm getting. If I end up driving this truck a lot, I might go and spend 30 or 40 bucks on some new 3 1/2 inch speakers but, other than that, I am thrilled with the result.
TimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #12
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3QTRTONS View Post
....Scosche makes an underdash stereo mount that'd probably work for what you want to do. 'Google' that name to get locations & prices. I saw it offered by WalMart for $14.88 & I'm sure you could get it elsewhere for similar money. JMO, but the front dash speaker replacement is a PAIN! Your idea for 6x9 boxes is a good one; or you can acquire a pair of OE metal frames and insert some NICE sounding modern 4x10 speakers into the cab corners - which was not unusual to see as an option in that era. No matter what, I wouldn't want a floor console getting in the way of my Honey's legs, or whatever......
i looked on there website and i found what i think you were talking about im not sure how it mounted but the next time im at walmart ill check out what they have and see how it all works in person.i dont mind having the floor console because my wife would very seldom ride in my truck anyway.i knda like the idea because it would allow me to mount things how i would like to and possibly add cupholders for drinks i get drymouth really easily so i like to keep a beverage close just incase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
I have some cab corner 6x9 speaker brackets that will fit your truck, check out the classified section. Don't waste your money on 4x10's, and don't waste the space behind your seat with carpeted boxes.
ill check those out sometime and i will most likely buy a set from you.ive seen some threads on these in the past and i like how they look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimQ
For speakers, I had the single center speaker. I just went to the junk yard and pulled a set of 3 1/2 inch speakers with mounting brackets from the dash of a '91 suburban. I popped them into my dash without any trouble at all. I wasn't looking for concert hall quality, so I am fine with the sound I'm getting. If I end up driving this truck a lot, I might go and spend 30 or 40 bucks on some new 3 1/2 inch speakers but, other than that, I am thrilled with the result.
what year is your truck and i may go that route get the mounting stuff and upgrade the speakers after getting the brackets for the dash.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 AM   #13
82chevy350

how hard and long does it take to mount the dash speakers?

'82 Primer White c10 2wd LWB 350 sbc t350
(Hot Rod)
'90 2wd LWB Silverado 350 tbi 700R4
(Daily Driver)
'53 m38a1 Willys Jeep
(Toy)
82chevy350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
TimQ

I had my dashpad off already, so it was nothing at all to do it. If you have the OEM brackets, they attach with one or two screws each and it is done in just a few seconds. I guess reaching under the dash to route the wires took a few minutes but, again, not that hard. As I recall, getting the dash pad off, it took maybe 5 minutes to locate all the screws and pull it off. So, in short, not hard at all.

Here's a thread with some photos by somone else.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=344303
TimQ is offline   Reply With Quote