The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Streudels68

Bought a truck, need advice

I bought a 1968 C-10 longbed back in Sept 09. I've been piddling with it for awhile, but due to work, family, and life in general I haven't made much progress. I originally wanted to convert the front drums to a disc set-up, but the budget won't allow for it so I'm just replacing the drum set-up. The body definitely needs work, but should I just concentrate on the mechanicals? A friend gave me some automotive grade metal to replace the floor so I was considering taking that on. It also needs cab corners, inner and outer rockers, cab supports, etc. Budget is a factor too. Where do I go from here?? Any advice would be appreciated!
Streudels68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
BluTrukker
BOHICA

Re: Bought a truck, need advice

everybody likes to do things in their own way. I would recommend doing all of the mechanical stuff first. It would hate to drop a wrench on a freshly painted fender, or have welding and grinding sparks flying onto new paint or glass. By the way if you want disks up front, you can swap the whole front suspension off of a later model truck. I believe any from '70-'80 will work, but not sure. Someone will correct me. Lots of these truck laying in scrap yards so finding one should be easy and cheap. Theres only 14 (I think) bolts holding it on. Check out the vendors and search the board for parts and answers.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

I would get it driving safe first. If it still cruises around town, you won't get discouraged as easily because you will still get the enjoyment of driving it. Once it comes apart, it tends to stay apart for a LOOOOOONNNNGGG time...

67 Chevy Short Fleet

PLAN: LQ9, 4L60, D60

Looking for School Bus Gauges - Help me out!
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
OilDrum68

3rd vote for mechanicals first, to at least get it safely drivable. Then just do the body and cosmetic work as time/budget allows.

That's pretty much what I did on my 68 CST, and I've been having a good time hauling stuff around in it while I ponder future improvements and projects.

And drum brakes aren't as bad (or unsafe) as most people make them sound, you just can't stop on a dime like you can with discs, but they slow the truck down just fine, even when loaded down.

Keep in mind that swapping to disc brakes also usually requires a change in wheels, because of backspacing issues or the calipers get in the way. Sometimes you'll get lucky and only a bit of grinding is needed on the caliper to get it to fit, but more often than not, it takes a bit more than that.

1968 Chevy C-20 CST LWB Fleetside
OilDrum68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Deaol

Definately focus on the mechanical and any saftey issues of the truck first, if your planning on or currently driving it daily. Cosmetics always come last for me.. And doing that much work to a cab (rockers/corners/floor/supports etc) will take it off the road for quite some time.. I am no expert welder / bodyman but it took me a good solid 2months to get my cab cleaned up doing pretty much the same you have too..
Deaol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
MCSO5164

I agree with the above advice take care of mechanicals. Drive and enjoy while fixing. Terry
Old 03-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Original67
Account Suspended

Safety first. Then the rest. I changed the front from and 84 in to our 67. Its easy. dozen or so bolts a little drilling and bolted right up. Plus Tires and Wheels count as Safety items. Good Luck
Original67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Streudels68

Very good advice. Thank you all. I'd much rather have discs, but drums will have to do for now I suppose. Switching to discs sounds like it can get expensive! I'd probably have it on the road by now, but I figured I would take the time to clean up and/or replace the front suspension and steering components while I was under there. I guess I'll do the whole "tune up" thing from there and see what happens. No doubt I'll be in touch so I can benefit from everyone's expertise on here. Any further tips/advice you care to share would be great! Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Original67
Account Suspended

I was able to get an entire rolling chassis from and 84 for 200. Everything was in good shape.
Original67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
Deaol

Again i was in a similar situation.. my 68' had front drums and I was wanting to go with discs but retaining my 6lug pattern. In the end even though I had the whole front clip off (for the first time) and it would have been a great time to do everything, I had to opt out due to cash flow. What I did end up doing was slowly buying everything needed for the swap, as well as other front end parts (bushings, ball joints etc etc) as I could afford them throughout last spring/summer... and when I had everything accumulated.. I pulled her into the shop this winter and went to town.

Most costly parts for me on the front end were the 6lug disc swap kit.. I actually bought two sets of rotors since they aren't a over the counter part.. and ccp, I think it was, had them on sale at the time. Also the mc/booster setup can be costly depending on where your at and whats available.. i live in the middle of no where so parts aren't cheap to ship to me
Deaol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
marcsRX
68 C10 SWB

here's some advice, POST A PICTURE~!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

My truck has rotted out rocker panels, holes on the floorboards, dents in the passenger side of the bed that the PO had tried to bondo, a bent front bumper, the hood don't line up worth a darn, a rusty old step bumper, the drivers side window always falls down when I'm driving...

But... pop the hood and it's all go fast under there... rebuilt tranny to boot... new brakes, and new u-joints, gonna tear in to the rearend next. Also gonna lower it 4" in back and 2" up front. Basically... a rusty farm truck that hauls a$$...

So get the mechanical stuff out of the way first. More funnerer to be able to drive it around, and work on the cosmetic stuff later. Heck... I'll prolly never do any of the cosmetic stuff. I like when the 400hp small block roars to life and leaves a pile of rust on the garage floor under the rocker panels...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 03-24-2010 at 06:27 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #13
Streudels68

I'll have to get a picture posted. Not much to look at though! I've seen people talking about 20" Dodge steelies. That would would be alright. I'll probably start piecing the front disc brake system together. What about a wiring harness for the engine? Should I go with one from a junkyard or what?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Junkyard wire harnesses are just that... mostly junk. Especially from a truck that old. There are great aftermarket wire harnesses available for decent prices. I bough a front light harness and engine harness (w/HEI hookup) from Wes at Classic Heartbeat for my 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom. I know he's a member here...

EZPZ plug and play... correct plugs for the firewall, and all the correct factory hookups, and mounting fixtures. Plus they came with new plastic wire runner channels to boot.

They look way better, and are a lot less headache that some old, brittle, greasy, harness from a junker.

I might add that Wes is local for me... so I bought a lot of stuff from him and Franks' Pick'em Ups. Another local guy for me. That is a member here too. I try to support my local guys.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 03-29-2010 at 09:45 AM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
Streudels68

Does Wes have a website? How much did the light and engine harness set you back? So does switching to HEI just consist of installing an HEI distributor? I have a Mallory ignition system that my friend gave me a few years ago. He had originally bought it for a Mustang. Think it will it work on my truck? I suppose I would need HEI to hook that up, right?