The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Joemomma1

Best way to polish our moldings?

I have picked up some custom trim for my truck but its pretty oxidized. I tried the brown compund and a drill but that did almost nothing. Do I need to step it up to a bench grinder w/ buffer wheel? What chemicals can be used? I know its possible to make this stuff shine like chrome but have no idea what to do.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
K-TEN

Re: Best way to polish our moldings?

Are you talking about an anodized grill or Stainless moldings. Anodized stuff usually needs to be re-anodized. Stainless is a little different. I would forget the drill for now and get some 4 ought-or 0000 steel wool. Not 000 or 3-0. Use some polishing compound with the steel wool and start to clean it up. You can use some polish from a bottle as well. It will be wetter. Don't rub in circles. Just in a straight line only. You should start to make some headway, then just keep at it. Stainless is pretty amazing stuff. As long as it's dent-free, with a little elbow grease, you will end up with a nice shiny result.

Last edited by K-TEN; 03-24-2010 at 10:33 PM.
K-TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
collins10672

if you are talking about the anodized side mouldings,custom cab plates or chevy bright anodized grilles then the anodizing will have to be stripped.polishing without stripping it off first is a waste of time.some say oven cleaner will remove it.there is a article over in the 67-72 section about restoring a 72 grill and the outer section is anodized aluminum.the article gives step by step instructions for removing the anodizing.this grille was beautiful after restoring.remove anodizing,polish to high luster,and then clear coat for protection.check it out.
collins10672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I've had some pretty amazing results with elbow grease and Semichrome polish, Flitz polish, and even car polishing compound, but if you really want professional results nothing takes the place of a bench buffer. Also if you make your own parts or really need to restore something that can't be replaced, it can be very rewarding polishing it back to as good as or better than new.

With a buffer you can select from various density buffing wheels along with different grit polishing compounds. It also allows very refined control so delicate details aren't injured or smoothed away. Use of the buffer for polishing can be developed to an art form. A hand drill just doesn't compare, lacking control, power, and polishing selections. A bench buffer also requires much closer attention to avoid injury to the operator or the part. The process is rather messy, and it's very easy to have a part "catch" the buffing wheel and throw it causing damage or injury. A light touch, good lighting, and lots of patience are required. If you invest in a buffer, be sure to research what motor is most suitable for buffing. Some bench grinders operate at speeds that aren't optimal for polishing.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Easy Off oven cleaner is a great way to remove the original clear anodizing...then many of the polishing compounds available will keep you factory anodized aluminum trim looking good with some routine maintenance or a good clear coat. Good luck and please post some pictures of your results.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
Heater63

And if you do polish, watch the wheel speeds...NOT a grinder!

I used a drill press with adjustable speeds to match a polisher.
Go to Eastwood supply and get a few wheels and the compounds to work the materials you are trying to polish. Stainless, aluminum, plastic, all use different compounds.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma1 View Post
I have picked up some custom trim for my truck but its pretty oxidized. I tried the brown compund and a drill but that did almost nothing. Do I need to step it up to a bench grinder w/ buffer wheel? What chemicals can be used? I know its possible to make this stuff shine like chrome but have no idea what to do.
I did exactly what you are doing.
I picked up a rough set of side trim for my '63 and ended up straightening the dents, bends and dings before I stripped the anodizing off.
Easy-Off oven cleaner, left to soak for 15 minutes or so, and steel wool gave me the best results. After that, I buffed and polished all pieces on the bench grinder with a polishing wheel.

Greg
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
JRBECK64

Be very carefull of the Polishing wheel if you decide to use one. I took my neighbor to the emergency room when he almost cut off his thumb because the peice he was polishing kicked back on him. Glad to hear your trying to resurect an old set.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
Joemomma1

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my question. I am going to use the oven cleaner and a grinder/buffer to clean them up. I will post before, durring and after pics as a testimony to its success or failure. The polisher Im going to use is at 3400 rpms. Is that too much?
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #10
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

I used a 6" Delta with a 3500 rpm motor.
Greg.
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
rcrahn

I read that when before polishing a fine piece on a buffing wheel you can mount it on a board to make it stable and not cut off any fingers.
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
ratskin

You can buy sticks of compound, as well as buffing wheels, much cheaper at Sears or most home improvement stores. I took the "Custom" moldings off my Suburban, and started at 150 grit, working up to a shiny chrome look. I'm sure it would have been easier to use Easy Off first!
ratskin is offline   Reply With Quote