The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
7ft stew

pontiac 400 power steering pump?

My 76 blazer has a pontiac 400 in it.it seems to run pretty good.the pulley for the power steering pump pulley is bent.i really dont know what year the motor is and cant seem to find the numbers for it.should i take it off and go to the parts store or try and find a salvage yard one? she isnt very far from being able to drive more than around the block and dont want to throw a belt.thanks for any info,stew
7ft stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Re: pontiac 400 power steering pump?

I had a Pontiac 400 that I put in my old T/A. Fun motor. If I remember right, they were part of the set of Pontiac motors that all shared the same block for many years. Different displacements, same block, wide range of motors. I would take it in to your parts store and see if it matches up with one from another Pontiac motor, or take a stab at the year of the motor and compare it to that. I know my 400 was from a 67 Pontiac Catalina. Maybe that will give you a starting place.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
7ft stew

cool.as with most/all of the people on here im on a pretty tight budget.any chance i can take the power steering pump off and take a hammer to it to straighten it up? i figured it would weaken the pulley? i havent drove it a whole lot but the way she wobbles i just think it would throw the belt.im thinkn i should bite "the bullet" and get a new pump.does the new pump with a pulley?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Panelman55

If it is a steel pulley you can do the old heat and beat method. Take a true flat surface, other than concrete, warm the pulley a little in the bent spot, not enough to cherry the steel and form it back into the proper shape with the hammer. Try to stay away from the holes and edges, if you can. Let the part cool, don't try to cool the part, let it cool on its own so not to change the temper. Check for straightness. I,m a machinist and have formed metal with this method many times with very good results. I also use a flat steel table. It helps.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
7ft stew

That's what I will do.if it ever stops raining(don't have a garage).thanks for the info