The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Irish's_79_Step

A few randomly connected questions.

I"ve looked around a bit and havent really found what i'm looking for so i figured i'd ask.

1. I was wondering if anyone was running an engine with more than 15 pounds of boost. and if so what kind of headers are you using? stainless, carbon that sort of thing.

2. Anyone running high hp/ tq on stock or boxed frame. high being above 500 in both. and if so how does the frame hold up to it.

3. Last was anyone running ladder bars, not four link. and if so would they reccommend them.

Just to explain what i'm trying to do. I plan on building a twin turbo 383 and figured i'd start looking into things. and haven't found much on the frame or traction side of things. the header question is just from talking to people who said anything but stainless wouldnt hold up to boost over 10 psi. any help is appreciated.

Irish
Irish's_79_Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
nlped

Re: A few randomly connected questions.

I can vouch for the S/S for the higher level of boost, as I have had several Turbo mustangs and imports. The S/S is more durable, but also more capable of withstanding the heat that the Turbo applications operate at.

As far as the frame... The big block guys, and a LOT of small block guys are producing as much or considerably more power than 500 hp/tq

Sounds like it will be one cool a$$ project though!!!

Like everyone else will say...TAKE PICTURES

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
streetstar

Won't you have to custom build the headers for a twin turbo set-up? Stainless is the way to go ---- i dont see why chro-mo tubes wouldnt work either , but if you spent all that time and cash on a hair-dryer set-up, stainless will stay nicer much much longer --- although if you dont coat them, they will turn brown

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
Irish's_79_Step

well all this is a little off, as far as time. i have just started taking apart the frame and was wondering about the four link because I dont want to got get my frame blasted and powder coated and then have to weld in the four link stuff.

As for custom building the headers i'm going to custom build it all most likely because then i can fit it all like i want it. and possibly hide some of it. (lot of ricers around here, could be more fun with it hidden)

As a side note i have a build thread that will get some pictures tomorrow. and possibly some updates.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3823611
Irish's_79_Step is offline   Reply With Quote