The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
jserrato714

parts list for 63 c10 power steering conversion

Hello, I need some help with my 63 c10 sb. I have a 350 sbc. I want to add power steering but I need some help on the parts list. The alternator is already on the passanger side. I have researched but have come up short on answers. I am on a budget build and have local junkyards to provide parts from 73-? c10 s.What exactly do I need for this build? Gear box?pitman arm? Thanks in advance and God Bless!
jserrato714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: parts list for 63 c10 power steering conversion

Well you're going to need a power steering box from a '69-'87 pickup, Suburban or 2wd Blazer. You can use the pitman arm for that steering box, it will fit your '63 draglink. Then you will need an adapter plate to mount that to your frame ( I can help you with that). Since you say your alternator is on the passenger side I am assuming that you have the long water pump. In which case you can use a power steering pump with pulley and mounting brackets from a '73-'87 pickup, Suburban, or Blazer in either 2wd or 4wd......pump is the same. Be aware that in around 1980-81 they switches the fitting style to a metric with an O-ring seal. So it makes things easier if you get a box and a pump of the same style. You will also need to make sure that your crank pulley has enough grooves to accomodate a PS belt. Then you will also need the hoses and belts, but these are best to purchase new from the parts store. If you could find one parts truck with everything, that would be a bonus as you would have everything matching.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
jserrato714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Well you're going to need a power steering box from a '69-'87 pickup, Suburban or 2wd Blazer. You can use the pitman arm for that steering box, it will fit your '63 draglink. Then you will need an adapter plate to mount that to your frame ( I can help you with that). Since you say your alternator is on the passenger side I am assuming that you have the long water pump. In which case you can use a power steering pump with pulley and mounting brackets from a '73-'87 pickup, Suburban, or Blazer in either 2wd or 4wd......pump is the same. Be aware that in around 1980-81 they switches the fitting style to a metric with an O-ring seal. So it makes things easier if you get a box and a pump of the same style. You will also need to make sure that your crank pulley has enough grooves to accomodate a PS belt. Then you will also need the hoses and belts, but these are best to purchase new from the parts store. If you could find one parts truck with everything, that would be a bonus as you would have everything matching.
Ok,thats what I thought I needed. Also...My steering colum and gear box are all original 63... Are the lengths the same and/or do I need to replace the whole colum or just the shaft that comes out of the steering colum? Thank you so much!

Last edited by jserrato714; 03-29-2010 at 12:55 AM.
jserrato714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The steering column shaft will need to be shortened. The installation instructions for the plate I sell shows you one way to do it. Another way is to use the lower section of a later model truck that has the 2 piece colapsable shaft. That lower section will slide over the shaft on your '63. Then you can drill and pin/bolt it together versus welding it back together as in my instructions. Someone here posted some pics on using the later model lower section, I just can't remember who it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrato714 View Post
Ok,thats what I thought I needed. Also...My steering colum and gear box are all original 63... Are the lengths the same and/or do I need to replace the whole colum or just the shaft that comes out of the steering colum? Thank you so much!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Here are a few good visuals.
Attached Images

LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
ChefCy