The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

sway bar questions

I went to the u-pick today and i looked and looked and looked and looed some more and could not find a squarebody. I did find a late model camaro and snatched the rear swaybar with brackets and all for 20 bucks, I'm pretty sure that i can make this work, have any of you done this? Also i found an about mid-80s box truck, you know the one with the van front. Would the front swaybar off that truck be an upgrade for the front of my truck would it even work on my truck? what can i find to upgrade the front bar without having to shell out about 200 bucks for an aftermarket one. Please give me some advise i would like to make my truck handle like a newer truck if not better.
staggerd86c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Re: sway bar questions

I got mine in under 80 I think. Check out the faq under suspension. I would look at a different yard.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Dapper Dan

I just got a front one off of a suburban, but I compared it to a friends van and it was considerably different. I think you are better off waiting for the right truck to get the front, just my opinion.
Dapper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

yeah your right, i think i will wait for one to come up, there is a board member that i am talking to that is selling one he is going to let me know how much the shipping is, if it isnt too bad i might get it from him if not i will continue to wait. Do you think i need to re-align the truck once i put the new swaybar? i dont think i should have to, but what have you guys experienced once you have done it.
staggerd86c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

No alignment needed. If your going to do it, its really only worth it if your going to use a 3/4 + ton bar. I mean with the work your gonna do. Its best just to do it once, so go big. Make sure you check out my how-to. Its really pretty easy and very worth it.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote