The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Malibob

Inner Fenders, How Did You Cut Them? Picture Thread

So, I have air ride on my truck and always seem to be bottoming out in the inner fenders. I would like to keep my hood springs and not get too carried away with cutting out. How did you guys with air do it? Got any pictures? I am looking for tons of ideas here so let's see what you got!

Flickr
Malibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Malibob

Re: Inner Fenders, How Did You Cut Them? Picture Thread

No one with cut inner fenders? I am thinking about how to cut a portion out of my inner fender and leave a portion that holds the spring. Anybody? I can go through build threads forever but am not having much luck finding the requested pics.

Flickr
Malibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
muddpile

I removed them completely, as they were 1/2" away sitting in park, and I'm not on air. If my truck had an engine under the hood, however, it looks like it would get dirty pretty fast. Depending on the offset of your rims, you may also have to slightly mod your outer fenders (the bolt strip anyways).
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
javadoc
Hey Watch this...

This may seem like a stupid question, but how difficult is it to remove the inner fender wells? I'm sure it's all bolt-on/off, but do you have to remove the outer fenders? I'm asking b/c I need to replace my rusted out inners.
javadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
muddpile

I removed my inners without removing my outers. There are 2-4 bolts on the firewall and rad support (It's been a whil ,I can't remember the exact # or locations...) and then the ones you see along the top of the fender.
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
xratt

I trimmed a little off two plces of the hinges. Moved the spring up a little bit at both ends. Still works great. Then I trimmed an arch in the inner fender at the squared off parts that run from the fire wall to the core support. Then bent the inner fender metal over the tires to match the arch. It did leave a gap in the inner fender at the fire wall end. But I think its better then having nothing. Now it does look home made. And one day I will replace it with a real wheel tub. But this works for now and it was free. I will load a few pics. The last pic is stock, before i cut it.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...9&goto=newpost
xratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
62 Bowtie

not sure who it was maybe captain who makes spring relocator brackets that mount to the firewall. You can then eliminate the inner fenderwells or cut them to get the clearance you need
62 Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Bowtie View Post
not sure who it was maybe captain who makes spring relocator brackets that mount to the firewall. You can then eliminate the inner fenderwells or cut them to get the clearance you need
Porterbuilt makes the hood hinge brackets for the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xratt
I trimmed a little off two plces of the hinges. Moved the spring up a little bit at both ends. Still works great. Then I trimmed an arch in the inner fender at the squared off parts that run from the fire wall to the core support. Then bent the inner fender metal over the tires to match the arch. It did leave a gap in the inner fender at the fire wall end. But I think its better then having nothing.
What size front tire is that?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote