The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
Diablo de la Noche

Doh! What a mistake that was!

I was browsing on here tonight, reading some of the how-to's and got to thinking "I wonder what I would have done without the helpful tips on this site? Oh yeah, I would have screwed it up".

Like the time I was building up my 60 Corvair. I used tube silicon on the windshield seal instead of spray silicon. Made a huge mess and pretty much ruined the install.

The PO of the Corvair replaced the floors with sheet metal and used wood screws to attach the front panels to the firewall (or whatever you call the front part since the engine is in the back). Well I couldn't figure out where the gas smell was coming from until I went to pull the tank to clean it out and discovered it was still attached...by the screws from the floor replacement. The tank is in front of the passenger compartment, just aft of the trunk. Seems he attached the floor to the gas tank inadvertently, which made four nice little holes that I had to patch.

Did some "minor" brake work on my 70 Landcruiser and almost killed myself trying to stop at a stop sign because I forgot to bleed the brakes. One wheel locked up and I slid right through the intersection. That won't happen again, brakes are pretty important. Even more so in the Seattle/Tacoma area when it rains and you are driving a 40 year old tank with narrow tires.

Even reading the manuals you can really screw thing up, so what have you done that you probably shouldn't have? I know you guys have some real good stories to keep us all in stitches (or keep us from needing them), so let's hear them!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Doh! What a mistake that was!

I'm working on one right now.I'm repainting detailing the engine in the truck.I know it will be a less than perfect job and I will not be truly satisfied but I couldn't stand the way it looked any longer.It's not safety related but it will probably bug me until I can do it over/right.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
Shyguy

This we did recently, but it it not earth shaking but bothersome.

We put a 454 in my truck not paying attention where the headers might have contact with other stuff. I was crawling around under the truck and noticed one of the headers was resting against the oil pain. Now it will bug me until I change out the extra capacity oil pan to have clearance.

Same 454 installation. I knew that the headers would probably cause heat soak problems with the starter, but we used the stock starter any ways. Now I have to fight with the header and remove the stock starter and put on a mini starter.

I can not count how many bolts I have twisted off over the years while working underneath a vehicle.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
Diablo de la Noche

Ok, I have another one:

When I got my 67, it ran fine but had it towed to my house just in case, since I live about 20 miles from where I bought it and would need to drive on the freeway to get it home. I parked it in my garage, backed in, of course, and couldn't touch it for a couple weeks because family was visiting. The family left and I put a new battery in it and she started right up and ran great. I put it in gear and it shuddered and finally started moving. I drove it up the street and backed it into the garage again. The 700r4 was shot and I barely got the half million pound beast back into it's cave.
I got all ADD and tore into her, planning on stripping everything off and cleaning the 40 years of grunge off. Including disassembly of the 350 SB. What I didn't realize was the passenger side was too close to the side of the garage and I couldn't take off the passenger door, fender, etc. Now that my interior rebuild is getting close to reassembly, the passenger side is pretty much untouched. That means I won't be able to finish the interior until I get the engine and trans rebuilt. Crap.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
jdcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo de la Noche View Post
Ok, I have another one:

When I got my 67, it ran fine but had it towed to my house just in case, since I live about 20 miles from where I bought it and would need to drive on the freeway to get it home. I parked it in my garage, backed in, of course, and couldn't touch it for a couple weeks because family was visiting. The family left and I put a new battery in it and she started right up and ran great. I put it in gear and it shuddered and finally started moving. I drove it up the street and backed it into the garage again. The 700r4 was shot and I barely got the half million pound beast back into it's cave.
I got all ADD and tore into her, planning on stripping everything off and cleaning the 40 years of grunge off. Including disassembly of the 350 SB. What I didn't realize was the passenger side was too close to the side of the garage and I couldn't take off the passenger door, fender, etc. Now that my interior rebuild is getting close to reassembly, the passenger side is pretty much untouched. That means I won't be able to finish the interior until I get the engine and trans rebuilt. Crap.
Two words...............Wheel Dollies