The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
wdaubach04

Different Metal?

Hello to all,

Just wondering if it is true that the metal in pickups is different from that of those made from 82-current? I am just starting a project and would like some input on the situation. I really like the 70 GMC, but dont want it to rust anymore once its finished. Thanks for any help
wdaubach04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: Different Metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaubach04 View Post
Hello to all,

Just wondering if it is true that the metal in pickups is different from that of those made from 82-current? I am just starting a project and would like some input on the situation. I really like the 70 GMC, but dont want it to rust anymore once its finished. Thanks for any help

Welcome to the board. Yes its true. The "new" steel has a higher tensile strength than earlier steel among others. thats allows them to use thinner steel to lessen the weight on newer vehicles. Rust is always a problem and its hard to stop it from coming back. With all the improvements in materials we have today we have a better chance of stopping it from coming back then we did 20 years ago
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
wdaubach04

Thanks for the info mike. I have a 67 and a 70 locally that i am looking at. Both with rust in all cab corners, fenders, and wheelwells, but i can find patches for them from many places like LMC. Hopefully getting both of them to make one 70 4x4 3/4ton. Anything i should be worried about?
wdaubach04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaubach04 View Post
Thanks for the info mike. I have a 67 and a 70 locally that i am looking at. Both with rust in all cab corners, fenders, and wheelwells, but i can find patches for them from many places like LMC. Hopefully getting both of them to make one 70 4x4 3/4ton. Anything i should be worried about?

Nah you are in the right place. Need to learn how to weld and be dirty and smell like rust all the time Lot of info on here on just about everything that has been replaced and lot of good writeups and builds. Do some searching and you will find it

Mike
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Keep in mind that Mike sells parts for these trucks. He is what is called a "Board Vendor". He is also on the board a lot just helping people out. We try to support those that support the board...

Oh, and to the 67-72 Chevy Truck board.
LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-04-2010 at 08:12 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would highly recomend looking for a rig from the other side of the U.S. Body work and paint is the most expensive part of any build.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote