The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
deepnsteep

Rear Disc 3/4, 1ton

What's out there for kits/DIY for rear disc conversions on the corporate 3/4 and 1 ton axles? I've searched quite a bit and can only come up with half ton stuff...
deepnsteep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
fiddy9apache

Re: Rear Disc 3/4, 1ton

ORD or ORU has the kit, i had it on min old truck but i cant rember which one made it.
fiddy9apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...tegory&path=37

only kit i found

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

14 bolt?
http://www.shakerbuilt.com/14boltDIY.html
Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
ghettoluxury

Ruff Stuff Specialties has pre-bent brackets and they are the only ones I will use, you can get them shipped to your door for $60. Use 14 bolt on your search, they also sell on ebay.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

From the video it would appear that you could also do this same thing on the non floating 3/4 ton rear axel with all GM parts except the bracket. I noticed the end of the axel tube was 3/4 to 1" away from the bracket which would allow the rotor to sit farther in on the nonfloating axel and still leave enough room to work in a bracket and the caliper. Hub centers should be the same diameter, so I don't see why a rotor wouldn't just slide on like the drum would. I'm doing tire work on mine and I have some spare rotors so I'm going to look into this. Only problem I see right away is the emergency brake, but, Mico lock makes a fluid driven pressure holder that works like line lock for drag cars, but it's designed for tow trucks. I'll have to look into that also unless someone else beats me to it. I'm not real good with computers and such. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
deepnsteep

I actually was able to turn this up on eBay too....looks like a good way to go really.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14-Bo...s#ht_633wt_940

Quote:
14 Bolt Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit, Weld On
You Are Bidding On Two Brackets

If you are skilled with a welder then this is THE best way to convert the mighty Chevy/GMC14 bolt FF/SF rear axle 1973-2000 from drum to disc. Its cheaper than a bolt-on setup, there are no spacers, nuts or bolts to worry about and its lightest way to do the conversion. Disc brakes are self cleaning and bring a weight savings of 50+ lbs, this is a fine upgrade for the off road enthusiast.
Plates are cnc machined out of 3/8” A36 steel. All the components we machine are drawn in 3d and programmed into the cnc machine using the latest cad/cam software. Ensuring the highest quality part possible, nothing is worse than getting ready to drop in an engine and not getting it to bolt up due to an inexperienced machine shop hand drilling your parts.

The vast majorities of you doing this conversion use the Chevy front calipers and cut out the cable e-brake system all together. If you want to keep your e-brake simply use '78 El Dorado rear calipers instead of the Chevy front calipers.

What else will you need?
All Parts Are Normally Kept In Stock At AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts Stores

(2) Rotors (1985 Chevy 3/4 ton truck front)
(2) Calipers (1985 Chevy 3/4 ton truck front)
(1) Set of brake pads (1985 Chevy 3/4 ton truck front)
(2) Soft brake lines (1985 Chevy 3/4 ton truck front, crush washers included)
(2) Banjo bolts (10mm, 1985 Chevy 3/4 ton truck front)
(1) Brake fluid

Our conversion plates are then glass media bead blasted and powder coated. The brackets are then baked in the powder coating oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. The normal color used is jet black however if you would like your brackets powder coated a different color let me know and at no additional charge I will coat then in any color you would like.

If you are not a skilled welder and live in the Bay City, MI area and would like us to perform the installation of these brackets at our shop please send me a message and we can discuss the installation cost in more detail. We can also supply all of the parts needed to complete the conversion. When installation is done in our shop welding is preformed by a journeyman welder and inspected by a bachelor degreed welding engineer. The conversion can be done in about 2.5 hours while you wait.
deepnsteep is offline   Reply With Quote