The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Ackattack

fuel pump question

I've been working on getting my old POS 69 truck running right.

I'm having almost the exact same symptoms as described in this thread and I've been following it:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=394763

So anyways I've replaced the pickup coil, ignition module, cap, coil, and rotor.

I just replaced the fuel filter with a clear one. When I start the truck up, it only fills to about half full. I would have thought that the fuel pump would put out enough pressure to fill the entire thing so you can't see air in it.

Does this sound normal, or is my fuel pump shot?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
nrb's70gmc

Re: fuel pump question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I've been working on getting my old POS 69 truck running right.

I'm having almost the exact same symptoms as described in this thread and I've been following it:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=394763

So anyways I've replaced the pickup coil, ignition module, cap, coil, and rotor.

I just replaced the fuel filter with a clear one. When I start the truck up, it only fills to about half full. I would have thought that the fuel pump would put out enough pressure to fill the entire thing so you can't see air in it.

Does this sound normal, or is my fuel pump shot?
that is my tread your following, just a note to let you know i have not found/fixed the problem with my truck yet-- but one thing that i noticed was my clear fuel filter is full with fuel even when the truck cuts out and dies.

alot of people thought my problem was a bad fuel pump but it cant be bad if my fuel filter is always filled. so take this for what it's worth.
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Shyguy

I have a clear filter on my 350 and the filter only fills up about half-way when I first start it and it runs ok.

What carb do you have?

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Ackattack

edelbrock 1406
Old 04-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
nrb's70gmc

i have an edelbrock performer 600cfm
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Ackattack

my fuel filter never fills up
Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
my67c20

Only 2 things make these engines run. Fuel and spark. Fuel is as easy one, if it runs play with the mixture screws, if it changes you are getting plenty of fuel. Have you tried installing a spacer under the carb. Might be boiling the fuel.

Heat can kill things real quick. I read from the prevoius thread that he used the white grease (must be dielectric not insulating). Make sure it is spread evenly. Heat can make the module act real funny. Having it checked at the store will not catch this.

Do you have a proper ground from the engine to the frame? Have you installed an ammeter on the wire from the coil to your 12 volt source? You should have at least 4 amps up to at least 8. Bigger wires won't get you that if your hooked up to a smaller fuse.

Do you have the proper vacumn to the carb hooked up?

Put on some rubber gloves and shake the wires while it is running? Any change?

Don't over complicate the issue.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
my67c20

Also here is some good reading

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...les/index.html
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
nrb's70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
Only 2 things make these engines run. Fuel and spark. Fuel is as easy one, if it runs play with the mixture screws, if it changes you are getting plenty of fuel. Have you tried installing a spacer under the carb. Might be boiling the fuel.

Heat can kill things real quick. I read from the prevoius thread that he used the white grease (must be dielectric not insulating). Make sure it is spread evenly. Heat can make the module act real funny. Having it checked at the store will not catch this.

Do you have a proper ground from the engine to the frame? Have you installed an ammeter on the wire from the coil to your 12 volt source? You should have at least 4 amps up to at least 8. Bigger wires won't get you that if your hooked up to a smaller fuse.

Do you have the proper vacumn to the carb hooked up?

Put on some rubber gloves and shake the wires while it is running? Any change?

Don't over complicate the issue.
i had dialectric grease on the module and the guy at the auto parts store told me i needed to use the white grease. thats the only reason i used it

What should i use?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
nrb's70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
just read though this and it said to use the white grease is that correct. all i know is my fuel pump is still pumping away.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
my67c20

I correct my own stupidity on that. It should be the white stuff not dielectric, like what is used on cpu and heat sinks.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
Ackattack

well after a couple of hours of playing around with the truck last night here's what I think.

I'm going to change the fuel pump. It doesn't fill the fuel filter, so I think its dieing anyways.

Next, I'm going to rebuild the carb. I could get it to run by adjusting the idle set screw, but the RPMs are high (no sure how high, no tach)....but definatly not idling. I tried adjusting the idle air screws and they just weren't working the way they should. The only way I could get it to idle at a "normal" speed was to use the choke. I'm not sure how old the carb is, but a rebuild is fairly simple anyways.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #13
Ackattack

Got the new fuel pump on it. Started it up and it was running much better with no choke! So I think that solved my problem. I need to do a little re-adjustment on the timing and carb, but I ran into another problem. My radiator is leaking now. Its old and rotted out, and I think I dropped a wrench on it during this whole fiasco, and now it is peeing out antifeeze.