The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Evil-13

Need A New Carb...

Hey Every One Im Back I Have A Question My 1965 Chevy C-20 L/B Needs A New Carb The Rochester Crapped Out The Engine Is A 283 And I Dont Know What To Get IM Looking At Holley And Edelbrock...

Need Some Help I Dont Know What To Get No Clue...
Old 04-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Need A New Carb...

I've been running either a Carter AFB or Edelbrock 1405 since the late 70's and enjoy the simplicity and ease of tuning. It's a very easy carb to dial in. More recently I've become aware I'm not the only person experiencing hard starting with this carburetor after it sits for a while. Here's a related thread you may want to consider before making a decision.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=hard+start

I was never too fond of the Holleys due to the complexity and trouble with the o-rings on the balance tubes, ruptured power valves, and warped metering blocks. They always performed well however. The best one I ever owned was also the only brand new model I ever bought - a 650 spreadbore double pumper. I loved that carb. Very crisp throttle response and like flushing a toilet when opening the secondaries. It went with the car I sold, and when I went to replace it the cost had tripled, which was when I switched to the AFB design.

There are many fans of the Quadrajet if they're dialed in well. Excellent throttle response, etc. I'm not sure what you have now, a 2 barrel, the old 4GC 4 bbl, or a Quadrajet - I don't remember when they were introduced.

I'd suggest doing some Google searches on the various models and see which one best fits your needs.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

I would go with a 600 Holley Double Pumper, my personal favorite. I have used these on my last (2) hot rods and they were both plug and play. They are pricey though.

That being said my 65 C10 had an Edlebrock carb on it when I bought it. It has worked flawlessly also.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Evil-13, what do you mean by "crapped out". Is it something that a rebuild can't fix or are you wanting a $300 or $400 upgrade that won't improve your performance that much by itself. As Markeb01 asked: what do you have currently?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Evil-13

I Had It Rebuilt At Least 5 Times And Dont Habe The Time To Send It Out Again... That Why Im Looking For A New One... I Want A Bolt Or Replacement...
Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Evil-13

Its The Og Rochester That Came On My Truck To Begin With..
Old 04-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Winola73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-13 View Post
Its The Og Rochester That Came On My Truck To Begin With..

2GC or 4GC Rochester? There are no direct bolt on replacements for either that I know of any more, anything you get will require some mods. I'd recommend a Q-Jet or a 390 Holley. I had a 600 Holley on a stock 283 in a '62 Impala SS with a PG and 3.36 gears about 20 years ago. I had to do some serious tuning to make it work "ok", it was just plain too much carb but at the time it was all I had and all I could afford. Gas mileage was in the toilet and it was a turd out of the hole but it did bury the speedo fairly easily once you got it rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
.I've been running either a Carter AFB or Edelbrock 1405 since the late 70's.......... More recently I've become aware I'm not the only person experiencing hard starting with this carburetor after it sits for a while. Here's a related thread you may want to consider before making a decision...
Just pulled the 500 Performer off my Studebaker because of that. If it sat more than a couple days the float bowls would go dry, not sure why but it also ran rich and rather than mess with it I yanked it. I have talked to too many people with the same problem and couldn't see tuning a carb I was still going to have issues with. I replaced it with a 390cfm Holley the other day, it has a stock 289-4V out of a '56 Hawk. I'm pulling the gas tank to have it cleaned out so i won't know how it does as far as starting after long periods but my '62 with the Holley sat for 6 months once and when I went out to start it fired right up like it had been driven the day before.
Winola73 is offline   Reply With Quote