The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
joe1982
.. !WAR FEDOR! ..

leaf springs

LHey y'all, I was under my truck yesterday tightening some bed bolts that were pretty loose. Since the truck was on stands I decided to inspect everything, my e brake line was frayed pretty damn bad, I addressed that, then I noticed my leaf springs looked a little off, the driver side looked fine, but the passanger side was very straight with no arch, and then upon further inspection, j noticed pitting and a lot of rust near the shackle, is this a common issue? I would like to replace them if its a big deal. So..... what website would u Guy's recommend if I decided to go this rout. Thanks

-joe
"san diego chargers #1"
joe1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
donut

Re: leaf springs

Look close for any cracked leafs in the spring pack.
Pitting and rust near the shackle. I dunno, it's kind of a judgment call. My rear spring eyes had some pitting and scale on them, but when I cleaned them up it wasn't that bad. My shackles and mounts were much worse.
Website- you might want to check the yellow pages. A local truck spring shop had the same prices without the shipping cost, plus the face-to-face when I forgot something.

Depending on your budget and truck usage, I wouldn't rule out the local wrecker either.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Re: leaf springs

get a wire brush for the end of a drill; sand at the pitting, see how bad it really is. ifts is really bad, itll just crumble.
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote