The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
camjck89

starter??

hello everyone its been a long tome since ive been on here, been busy and finally picked up my 72 sb 350 and changed the plugs in it and cleaned up the outside. question tho the guy i bought it from said that the starter gets overheated from the ramhorn headers and it the engines warm it wont start. im very new to this truck and was wondering the right starter to get. that wont be the same problem. if the oem starter is the prob then ill just change it out with a replacement. he said theres a certain starter that fixes this problem but also said its expensive. then again this guy said i needed to junk the quadrajet. so help me out, thanks
camjck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
BLK96

Re: starter??

Put a Ford solenoid in place of the junction on the pass. fender. Run jumper from large terminal to small on Chevy starter. Run large batt. cable to Ford solenoid then to starter. Original wire that went to start term. on Chevy starter (jumpered now) will go to "S" terminal on ford solenoid - may need to be lengthened. Attach remaining wires from original junction to batt side of Ford solenoid (large terminal). This mod should eliminate any heat soak no-start issues.
BLK96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
cdowns

small hitorque is the way i go// if the starter is already having the heat soak problem chances of remote solenoid fixin it are slim
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Wouldn't a heat shield help some of those problems?

Something to look into I would think.....
Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I had a heat soak problem from running headers, remote solenoid was the cure.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Hmm... this same thread was also started uin the "engine" section...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
mr48chev

A heat shield helps but I would say pull the starter off and replace the bushings and brushes in it for around ten bucks at Napa and go again.

90% of the hot start problems with these starters is because the bushings are worn enough so that the armature drags on the fields when the starter is hot.

The Ford solenoid fix is also a good one that has been done for years and can easily be done by just about anyone by using a Ford solenoid, extra length of battery cable and a copper strip (made from a piece of flattened copper tubing).

I'm not a fan of the "high torque" starters. On each and every board I am on there are several threads on the issues with them. The biggest issue seems to be that some of them are hard to get meshed up with the ring gear correctly.

Also if the battery is a bit on the wimpy side you might have hot start issues so make sure that the battery is up to the task. New rigs with all new pieces and wiring can usually get by with any battery that fits in the space but older rigs tend to need all the oomph they can get in the battery department.

And it still goes back to checking the basics
Check each and every connection on the positive and ground cables.
Check the condition of the cables
Make sure that every other connection in the system is good and all of the wiring is in good shape. Check for patches in the wiring and things like butt connectors that may be causing resistance or suspect connections.

On the QJet, If they are in good shape and set up right they are hard to beat for every day driving. You do either have to have the patience to go step by step when rebuilding your own along with a gentle touch or find someone who is good at rebuilding them.
One issue with a lot of them is that the base plate wears where the throttle shafts go through allowing the shafts to be loose and or vacuum leaks in that area but usually there is someone around most areas that can do the repair or I would think that there is someone here on the board who is setup to rebush the holes and properly fit the shafts. The other issue is that the plugs in the bottom of the body sometimes leak but there are fixes for that including a piece that comes in every kit that you put in the base plate to seal things off.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
rogergodding

Problem solved:
Attached Images

rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Shyguy

I am putting a mini starter from a 1995 Chevy with a 350 on my 454 with heat soak problems as soon as I get the starter repaired.

Also I am going to install the remote solenoid just in case since I have one.

I will probably also wrap the starter with a insulating blanket.

I figure since I have to remove the header to take the old starter off might as well do everything, lol.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
67vetteal

I remember something about using the Solenoid from a GM Diesel Starter from around 1980 when the General made an Olds gas motor into thier version of a car Diesel. Anyone? Al W.
67vetteal is offline   Reply With Quote