The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
muthstryker

How far do drop spindles push out the front wheels?

Hey guys,

Getting ready to order my wheels next week and befor I order need to get my backspacing on the wheels in order... I have read that drop spindles push the front wheels out. I was wondering about how far? They are 2.5 drop spindles from westernchassis. Thanks alot..

Matt
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: How far do drop spindles push out the front wheels?

The spindles that I have installed on these trucks don't push the wheels outward. The change is in the height and it makes the wheels sit closer to the fender edges, so it makes them appear that they may be out further. The concern on drops and wheels is the backspacing that you have,so that the wheels do not rub on the lower 'A' arm framework. If you have a stock diameter rim, the edge of the rim is usually right up against the arm's metal. Now, if you cut or shorten your springs and you do not get a wheel alignment, then the wheels can be "Pushed Out" at the bottom, due to the arms being out of synch with each other.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
muthstryker

Cool, Thanks for the relply. Going with 22s all around so I dont think I will have a problem with the wheel coming in contact with the a arm. I could see how someone would think that the wheel is being pushed outward, when rather its just closer to the wheelwell lip.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
fiddy9apache

it will push them out about .5 to 3/4 of an inch.
fiddy9apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

As i see it, it does not really push them out as much as it redefines position of the wheel in comparison to the geometry of the A arm swing. If all you do is change the spindles, you move the wheel up on the swing arc approximately 2 to 3". So when the A arm goes through a bump cycle, it has the wheel already up further than what it would be if the suspension was still in a factory position. On my trucks the same wheels work with the fenders as they did before, but the clearance is tighter, BECAUSE the wheel is starting it's upward cycle at a point closer to the edge of the fender's sheetmetal. If the suspension height was stock that wheel arc would be going inward, vice upward, by the tme the wheel gets to the same point.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

i suppose it would depend upon a specific brand of spindle, some may indeed be different from others. Some may push the wheel out to gain clearence between the edge of the rim and lower control arm?

piecesparts, your discription sounds more like a spring drop than a spindle drop? With a spindle-only drop the suspension travel is exactly like it was before. The "arc" has not changed, the control arms are still tilted downward toward the wheel and have to travel up (and out). You have to be pretty low before the top of the wheel begins to pull inward during it's travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
dropd80s

the spindles that push the wheels out are for the 88-98 trucks. Belltechs spindles push the wheels out 1/2" to help the OE wheel to control arm clearance problem, DJMs do not do this. They are standard track width. No spindles that I know of for the 73-87s adjust track width so you should be fine no matter what brand you choose.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
i suppose it would depend upon a specific brand of spindle, some may indeed be different from others. Some may push the wheel out to gain clearence between the edge of the rim and lower control arm?

piecesparts, your discription sounds more like a spring drop than a spindle drop? With a spindle-only drop the suspension travel is exactly like it was before. The "arc" has not changed, the control arms are still tilted downward toward the wheel and have to travel up (and out). You have to be pretty low before the top of the wheel begins to pull inward during it's travel.
It is all in the dynamics of where the wheel is trelatuionship to the center of the spihdle nounting points. A lowering spindle will position the wheel higher on that center and then also position that wheel at different position on the arc.

If one is worried about a change in depth, then I would consider a set of tubular lowering A arms from DJM on the 88-98 trucks. I have a set on my 91 and they work real well.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
americanmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post

You sir are correct. The arc is unchanged when using drop spindles. That means that if the wheel is closer to the edge of the truck then the spindles pushed the wheels out. Its a rather simple concept.
americanmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
muthstryker

Thanks everyone for the replies helped alot. Going to get my drop and wheels now..
Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanmuscle View Post
That means that if the wheel is closer to the edge of the truck then the spindles pushed the wheels out. Its a rather simple concept.
Depends on where you are measuring. The sides of these trucks are curved.

Spindle drops shouldn't push the wheels out, unless the mfr designed them to do so. Spindles just in theory, move the wheels straight up. Suspension has nothing to do with it.

Drop springs on the other hand, might push out the wheels, as you are in essense compressing the suspension.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote