The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

My First Chevy!!!

Well I have owned quite a few cars in my life but never a chevy until now. I love projects and consider myself a "closet gearhead". I love to modify trucks, normally it is just simple bolt on stuff, but I just finished a major transformation on an 01 Dodge then sold it. I am pretty familiar with the search button so I hope to not have too many simple questions.

This is very much a Frankenstein truck. It is a 71 body that was off a 1/2 ton 2wd, L6, that has been mated to a 72 4wd 3/4ton frame, then the PO put a 454 out of an 80's something with a SM465 behind it.

It needs a lot of work to be where I want it to be, but other than the rockers is in great shape and there aren't any glaring things that concern me at this point seems like a very solid truck to start a build on. Though it needs work everything is there. I brought it back to the shop threw it in the garage, fixed the fuel line and it started up, runs etc but leaks everywhere.

This is the first truck I can honestly say I have pulled out of a field where the PO had lost intrest in it and it has sat for several years only being started every couple of months. I have only had time to pull the dipstick and the oil looks perfect.

Once I have a week or two to go through it I will formulate a plan so there is no set direction yet but this site should be plenty of help.

Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Re: My First Chevy!!!

Sweeet!! Got to love the big blocks!! Looks like the engine was moved forward or there is a body lift on the truck. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
Sweeet!! Got to love the big blocks!! Looks like the engine was moved forward or there is a body lift on the truck. WES
This is why I love these sites. yes it has a 3" body lift that I will be removing for a 4" suspension lift. Will there be any issues within the engine bay when I take the Body lift off or do I need the BL to make the 454 fit?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

It really varies but often times a BL does help fit a BBC. Here is a good link for you to review on the subject.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

thanks I will look through that link may end up leaving the BL on as everything in my engine bay has plenty of room, I am a little worried the long tubes may give me an issue but everything seems to fit fine with plenty of room. Did some more checking on it this weekend.

1. Popped the valve cover and the head looks brand new so doesn't look like a rebuild will be required.

2. Does have a leaking rear main, but it has sat for a while.

3. Something is up with the electrical system. Once you hook all the battery wires up all the electrical components go hot and once you start it it won't shut off you can even pull the key out. Looks like a painless wiring harness will be in the works soon.

Last edited by Quackaddict; 04-12-2010 at 08:54 AM.