The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
olskoolchevy

Smile Remember when this was legal?

Remember when this was how you got places, well if you got to ride in the front? The kids love riding in the 71. My little girl calls it the "dirty" truck since it's still all primered(and will stay that way til they all move out probably), and says it sounds like a monster truck(she likes monster trucks). The boys just call it the old truck. The good ol' days, no airbags, just dad's arm swinging over to stop you from a dash-caused concussion. If I had a dollar for every time I endend up in the floor board at a red light or stop sign, my truck would have paint on it.
Attached Images

olskoolchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: Remember when this was legal?

yep. I remember those times well. laying down across the rear package deck of my parents '72 Plymouth. talk about a front passenger decapitation device. don't even get me started about riding in the back of my pop's '66 Chevy swb. no seatbelt, heck! no seat!!!

thanks for bringing up some good memories. btw, very nice family you have there. nothing better than seeing a bunch of smiling sons and daughters in the front seat of your pride and joy!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
ShredSled

haha, great photo!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
justincat

that does bring back memories. I remember my dad had a little toyota truck and I was just tall enough to stand straight up in the seat and brace my head on the roof(you couldnt pry me out of there even if I wasnt holding on to nothing). I also remeber he had a camper with the bed over the cab, I could ride up there when we went camping(if you had a wreck up there you would just fly out of the front). Great memories. I
justincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
GruntMoanCough

Quote:
Originally Posted by olskoolchevy View Post
The good ol' days, no airbags, just dad's arm swinging over to stop you from a dash-caused concussion.
Uh huh. LOL........... Great lookin' kids, lucky you!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
MT71c-10
Too many toys,not enough money

Shoot, I remember the days it was legal to ride in the bed of a truck!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
ShredSled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT71c-10 View Post
Shoot, I remember the days it was legal to ride in the bed of a truck!!!
wait, still is legal here, under certain circumstances I believe!
Old 04-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
olskoolchevy

I know it's legal to ride in the back here in Texas, but you have to be 18 I think. But it's also still legal to smoke in the car with your kids too.

By the way, thanks for all the comments on the rug rats.
olskoolchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
collins10672

yeah i remember those day's fondly.i remember i was about 12 (1984)years old and it came a snow so my dad say's lets go out to the main highway and see if the roads are clear yet.we got in the ole 64 chevy short fleet and got out to the highway and the roads were still slick and we start to turn off of the main road and he cuts the wheels and they don't cut.it makes a beeline for the stop sign and ditch.well all of a sudden i hear a loud smack.i raise up and it was my forehead hitting the dash at about 20 miles an hour.he thought it killed me.i still have a dip above my brow on my forehead from that day so long ago.
collins10672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #10
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

man, i grew up in a 67 chevy truck, the back window was missing for 5 years or even longer. still have the truck, but the thing is so wore out

Dad drove and three kids just hung out in the front seat
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
red71c10
The Red Menace

My Dad took my Brother and me everywhere in his '68 C-20. On vacations it was just Mom & Dad in the cab, and all four kids were riding in the camper! I never got to drive his '68. I learned to drive in his '76 Scottsdale, but it's the memories of that '68 that made me want to own one of these trucks myself.

"Driving is like coloring. Things get messy if you can't stay inside the lines."
red71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #12
don t. - 72gmc

It was a 69 c-20 for us. Many years ma & pa in the front, me and my 2 bros in the back w/a camper shell, sleeping bag, and an AM only transistor radio. Wasn't until I moved out when they got a real camper. Dad claimed he could afford it since his food bill went down. Sometime in the mid 80's my middle bro wrapped it around a big oak tree. He was fine, not so for the truck.

Thanks to the OP for memories. We had a good time.

Have fun....don t. .....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
Rob H.

I remember riding up on the cattle racks on a 68 Ford Dad had, must have been around 74. After he'd traded that pickup off for a F-600 to use on the farm, we were given my great uncle's 65 C/10 SWB. Then he got a 70 C/20 that was the first truck I got to drive around on the farm. I can remember riding in the bed of both of those. I remember almost knocking out my front teeth from looking out the door and Dad hitting a pothole! Also remember hauling 4 adults in the cab of a pickup being looked on as normal LOL, after all my cousins and I were in the bed!
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)
Rob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

You guys should look into the owners manual about the optional car seat that was offered in 71, it looks like a bath tub and would be sue'd to death if offered today at walmart....Would love to have one and see what the man would say about it today....

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I can remember riding in the back of my Dad's '70 Chevy C10 cruisin' down the interstate during the summer.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
hilandr452

I remember flying down the highway in the back of my dad's 63 chevy pickup. The wood bed was damaged and you could see the driveshaft spinning through the floor. The rule was you had to sit on the floor of the bed. I also remember going camping and taking the camper (70 GMC w factory el dorado camper) on long trips laying up top in the bed over the cab on our bellies looking out the window while driving.
73 Chevy Camper Special (Yes, it's badged a camper special) Flat Bed Motorhome conversion 454, standard tranny

"DON'T TREAD ON ME !!!"

My Project: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20829244 , http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24654442
hilandr452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
rusty baker
'70 C-10 Primer

Still legal to ride in the back of a PU in Missouri, if it's the family vehicle. It's called the "Jed Clampett" rule.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #18
killer71

Photo is priceless!!! Thanks for sharing! any photos of the truck?
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #19
ramey
71' Custom 10 (ole blue)

Cool Re: Remember when this was legal?

nice pic, i remember growing up riding in my dads 68 gmc and winding up in the floorboard a few times. then dad had a 72 chevy stepside with a wood bed and it was rotted out, you had to watch out for the flowmasters(fun times)
ramey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #20
jimmq

I remember that my dads right arm was faster than any air bag to protect my from that steel dashboard
jimmq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #21
capev86

sorry....i believe in seat belts. everyone uses one or the car doesn't go anywhere. it is my dad's rule and now it is mine as well. i feel weird not wearing a seat belt while driving. its a no brainer like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle i won't be responsible for someone going through the windshield and that statement about using your arm is complete morononic nonsense. those kids better be buckled in even if two of them have to share a belt. there were plenty of good times in the good old days, but going without seatbelts should not to one of your fondest memories....that is just plain disturbing. installing belts should be part of any restoration/modification project.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #22
grs

I remember riding in the back of a pick up truck when I was about 7 years old.
That was 1953. I was really enjoying it till I got some dirt in my eye. That ruined my day.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #23
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Thanks for the memories. Great looking flock of young-uns.

I remember riding with two of my cousins for about 20 miles on the tailgate of my uncle's dark green 53 (54 ?) chevy station wagon (when it was brand new) with the fake woodie trim. Fifty miles an hour felt like AC on bare legs hanging down toward the pavement in the hot Summertime. Except I'd never heard of AC at that time; it just felt good.

State or local police would have a heart attack seeing that now, but it sure is a great memory.

I grew up riding in the bed of a 50 - 51 Chevy pickup all over our farm. Got dumped on my butt numerous times from the bumpy roads & trails, but no injuries ever that I remember. Only time I ever rode inside the cab was if it was raining too hard or it was so cold I couldn't stand it.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #24
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

It is perfectly legal in Utah to ride in the bed of a pickup truck.
I grew up riding in Volkswagens. I did refuse to put my seatbelt on once while riding in my dad's VW Bus and had the experience of flying from the rear bench seat into the front bucket seat headfirst.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #25
big_al_71

Oh my God we were in a head on collision in a VW Bus and my brother and I went into the dash hard...no seatbelts, no safety nothing...it makes me wonder how the heck did we make it to adulthood..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote