The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
reb42

frame swap

Hey guys,I'm new to this so be easy on me.Ihave a 65 chevy short wheelbase stepside.I want to put it on a later model frame.I have a 75 long wheelbase chevy,what all is involved and is this something a beginner might do.I'm a welder by trade so i think i could handle the cutting and welding,just need to where and how much.I know the centers are 115"can I move the rear end up to 115" and cut of the extra. and do I do anything to the front end. need all the help i can get.
reb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: frame swap

Welcome to the forum

You have two issues facing you with this swap. First is when mounting your '65 body onto the '75 frame, you will need to do one of two things. One is to build all new body mounts on the frame, which will amount to about a 3" body lift. This will look about like a stock K10 height wise. I've done this once......I didn't like it but the customer did. The other way is to channel the cab and box onto the frame.....this is a lot of work as well. The reason for this is the difference in the side profile of the two frames.

Shortening a long wheelbase to a short wheelbase isn't that difficult for an experienced welder as yourself. You just need to take 12" out of the frame between the cab mounts, and then cut 8" off of the back of the frame. I can email you some pics if it will help.

What I would do is just shorten your '65 frame, and then put the front suspension from the '75 under the '65 as well as the rear end. Way easier and a much better end result IMO. There is a thread on the front suspension swap called "Disc brake reference thread", pretty much everything you need to know about it in that thread. If you still have questions post them, or send me a PM.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
reb42

Question Re: frame swap

Thanks for the reply Captainfab,the 65 frame that I have has a late model frontend coil springs and leaf springs rearend.Everything else has been removed other than the cross suports,they cut the frame at the center of the front suspension I don't know why. will this cause problems down the road.How can you tell what year the suspension is,and where and why do I cut the frame on the 65.
reb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: frame swap

If you could post a pic or two of what you have, that would make it easier for us to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb42 View Post
Thanks for the reply Captainfab,the 65 frame that I have has a late model frontend coil springs and leaf springs rearend.Everything else has been removed other than the cross suports,they cut the frame at the center of the front suspension I don't know why. will this cause problems down the road.How can you tell what year the suspension is,and where and why do I cut the frame on the 65.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote