The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2010, 06:26 AM   #1
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

Adjusting shift indicator

I have an 85 with th350 and on the column it has the correct 3 spd indicator but for some reason it is off. When I am in regular drive(D) it is pointing to neutral. Is there some way to adjust the indicator or linkage?
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Adjusting shift indicator

Yes - it has a little "edge clip" that clips to the side of the steering column bowl. You can scooot that clip one way or the other to adjust.

Incidently, we do that with the trans in neutral. Put the shift lever in Neutral and move the needle to "N"; that way you are more accurate in the middle and any error is moved to the ends of the travel (to L, which you don't use often, and to P, which is pretty robust).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Also note, I would check the shift linkage under the truck where the goes from the trans to the frame. At the frame end there should be a teflon button with a spring behind it. The springs are noted to rust away leaving the linkage sloopy. The button will last forever. If you find this, remove the linkage and put a new spring in and adjust the linkage. Make sure trans is in neutral, make sure gearshift is in the neutral "gate", then tighten the linkage back up again. After that do what Keith said to do and you'll be good to go. Grease everything up good. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

There isn't a spring or button to my knowledge, so I will look into getting one.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Also note, I would check the shift linkage under the truck where the goes from the trans to the frame. At the frame end there should be a teflon button with a spring behind it. The springs are noted to rust away leaving the linkage sloopy. The button will last forever. If you find this, remove the linkage and put a new spring in and adjust the linkage. Make sure trans is in neutral, make sure gearshift is in the neutral "gate", then tighten the linkage back up again. After that do what Keith said to do and you'll be good to go. Grease everything up good. Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by softballnrd27 View Post
There isn't a spring or button to my knowledge, so I will look into getting one.
My bushing (button) is missing in action. You guys have any Idea where to get one? Maybe even a part number?