The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
C10Silverado79

Truck broke last night -- Sort of ....

I have plans to rebuild the carb this weekend, since this 350 can't seem to get out of it's own way, but it has still be running smoothly. I was running about 45 mph last night and started up a hill. I gave it some gas as it slowed up and the trans kicked down into second gear. As soon as that happened, the motor began to choke, sputter, buck and lose all power. It never stalled but I could not open the throttle much past idle. I limped over the hill and it was drivable on flat road but still could not give it much throttle.

When I got a chance to stop, I looked under the hood and everything looked good. I stopped and started the motor with not problems but the exhaust sounded like there was a cylinder or 2 missing.

I headed back home and the truck ran perfectly fine. Actually, if felt like it was running better than it has since i got it. It idles a little rough now but runs smoothly.

I'm thinking that it may have been a stuck float or possibly something in the float bowl that got sucked down on the jets but I'm just guessing? Ignition, fuel filter, fuel pump are all new.

Any other ideas or things I should check?

TIA
Steve
C10Silverado79 is offline   Reply With Quote