The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Things that make you cry

The 87 I bought, someone had hacked up the dash to put a modern radio in it. Well, being the kind of guy I am, I wanted to toss in a factory AM/FM, and I have a few, even have the factory pigtails with them. But, the mounting location in the dash had been made in to a big square, and the cluster bezel had been hacked up.
I made a few phone calls and found a local salvage with 4 square bodies in my year range, I asked if they'd drag one over or if I could come get one so we could rob some of the metal dash and such. They told me they couldn't do that on these, they were all cash for clunker trucks and absolutely had to be crushed by months end. But, I was welcome to come out and get what I needed. Since it is a salvage we buy from frequently, they used to me coming out and wandering the lot with tools in hand, despite not being a pull a part type vendor.
Well, I went out there today and hit pay dirt. Two of the trucks were normal old 82 and 83 LWB with 305's etc etc. One was a very nice looking 86 SWB that someone had put a 350 in and some pretty dress up engine bay stuff, interior was trashed though. The last one, I am still shivering over... another 87 LWB that was cherry. I went back in and begged them to sell me the entire truck, but of course they could not. I just about broke down and sobbed at how clean this old truck was and how little wear and tear it had. Granted I robbed it for all I could carry in my truck, only thing I wasn't able to get was a good crash pad on top, every one of them was cracked out and I already have one of those.

Just breaks my heart to know a truck that nice is going to be made in to paperclips. At least some of its transplanted parts will live on! And I think I can upgrade my dash to a factory clock now.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.

Last edited by RandyP; 04-16-2010 at 11:57 AM.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
camshaftgsxr

Re: Things that make you cry

yeah it sucks how many good vehicles were destroyed i heard in my auto class that they crushed a gnx buick in cash for clunkers (good running vehicles own by idiots) shame shame shame
Old 04-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
HOGDADDY

If it will make you feel better I have a CFC cab that I ended up swapping for mine that a tree fell on. The CFC truck is in decent shape too. So one was sacrificed for my truck.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 04-16-2010 at 05:49 PM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
07SSSC

We had an absolutely perfect early 80s K10 that we had to CFC, someone had just rebuilt the engine, lots of Edelbrock parts on it. Body was straight, interior was nice, paint wasn't even faded. We pegged it wide open and it ran like a top til it seized, didn't miss a beat, had I had more time I would have even considered swapping the engine with the one in my Trans Am with a flat cam. <sigh>
07SSSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
paul66c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaftgsxr View Post
yeah it sucks how many good vehicles were destroyed i heard in my auto class that they crushed a gnx buick in cash for clunkers (good running vehicles own by idiots) shame shame shame
actually a gnx buick that was traded in for cash for clunkers a female congress lady got a hold of it from what i read...but yea alot of nice cars/trucks were wasted for that stupid deal...
1986 gmc shortbed (right now its rough) porterbuilt dropmember front mmw flat plate uppers and lowers, soon to have porterbuilt rear dropmember, painted cherry red rallies, flat green primer in the works with a gloss white roof, 92 civic dx daily beater, 01 z06 new toy
paul66c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul66c10 View Post
actually a gnx buick that was traded in for cash for clunkers a female congress lady got a hold of it from what i read...but yea alot of nice cars/trucks were wasted for that stupid deal...
x2 I can't even began to say what I want to say about that whole deal. So many nice clean older rigs that just ate it dammit
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Matt Man

yea i was looking around the car dealers when cfc was going and i found a mint 1991 v2500 suburban with barn doors, interior was fresh with no tears only thing that was bad was the tires... shame
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if i coulda id have bought one of the cfc cabs in mint shape but i havent seen any near mint ones in my area

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:31 AM   #9
spinem
haha, ford guys...

hahaha yeeeep. i see some /w/ house switches in them all the time. one had a poke poke toggle, not flip style, for the dual tank switch haha
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
81K5Blazer
The pool guy

Ya, I can't believe what they destroyed. Some of the cars I would have thought that the dealers would have given them more money just so they could resell the cars.

Here is a list of some exotics that were destroyed. The GNX is mentioned here too.

http://jalopnik.com/5365954/ten-most...nkers/gallery/
81K5Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Cash for clunkers was nothing more than a giant government sponsored scam, and it was aimed at getting as many good cars off the road as possible.

I own a towing company, you wont believe how many cars were towed into dealerships and then paid out 4500 for. They let people bring anything in, just so they could get sell cars.

At the local dodge dealer here they had a PT cruiser that was a CFC car, and it had been wrecked so hard the uni body was totally twisted, the car almost sat on 3 wheels.

Whats worse is that CFC put many small junkyards out of business, reason being that it depleted the supply of cars that were ready to be junked out, then when the government didnt pay out fast enough, they let dealers sell the cars to salvage to make them happy, so many of the larger scrap yards got all the cars.

A good friend of mine is one of the ones who was put out of business, its sad because all he did was chevy truck parts, if it wasnt for CFC I really think he would have still beein in business.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
Arky

Err, ahem you wanna share which yard it was so that we could help you save these CFC victims, one piece at a time. ?
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I'm crying because I have to drive mine in the rain today. My Jimmy is on jackstands waiting for new brake cylinders and brakes.