The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
files007

Who's makes the best fit replacement panels

Hi guys I'm bout start building a 67 and I'v heard lots of things about replacement panels. I see that LMC has very good prices but I hear that none of there panels fit good. I want to go as cheap as a good fit will let me. I hear of a place in spring texas called Outback Truck Parts. anyone know the scoop on there parts and where would you suggest that I order parts from. I plan to order all fenders new and a few cab patch panels. Thanks
files007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
files007

Re: Who's makes the best fit replacement panels

please help guys. it will be greatly apreciated.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
JRBECK64

Ive had real good luck with TriPlus replacment Panels. There is a guy on this site that sells panels out of NJ and his screen name is mbgmike. Good Luck.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
1968bigblock

Brothers is a good source but people on here have said otherwise.
1968bigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
burb71

I always thought that GM made the best replacement parts & panels
burb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
MrBlue

Greetings,
We purchased all of the replacement panels we needed from LMC. For the most part the fit was ok. This included cab back corners and everything to rebuild the rockers and forward A-pillar. However there was one panel that I would not buy from them again. We needed a RH door and yes I did purchase if from them. Here are the issues:
1. Door latch is set in by 0.25-inches, Therefore the door doesnot close nor fit the body without a lot of work
2. The window height is too high, meaning that when you roll up the window there is another 0.25-inch gap
3. The angle at which the window frame is attached is incorrect, meaning that the window leans in too much and will contact the cab before the door latch is anywhere close to latching.
4. Outer door skin is set down too far. We assume that when the window frame is installed to the lower-inner door, this creates an the issue in which the door will not close because it is hitting the rocker panel.
OK, I am sorry for the rant about the door.
Good Luck,
MrBlue
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I can only say that you will probably not find much difference in fit from company to company.Warranty and metal thickness may vary but I doubt if any co. can afford to make a panel that is already made by someone else.The cost of tooling and such is so high that there is not enough demand to warrant the tooling required to make a part already made by someone else.The exception would probably be on smaller parts.I think most aftermarket sheetmetal is made by a company overseas and may be boxed in several manufacturers packaging.Different co,s may spec different thickness of metal but I think most are stamped from the same dies.I do know there are a couple of thicknesses of inner fenders since I have actually seen/felt the difference.I also can't swear to any of this it's just from looking at lots of aftermarket sheetmetal.
The debate on fit of aftermarket panels will also continue but to be truthful,these trucks didn't have the tighter gaps most expect when they were built and will not have them without working at it.There is also the issue of "settling".In 40 years if you haven't settled a bit then someone never used you for a truck.
Now these are just my opinions but they are from personal observation and I may be judging from a different perspective than others.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
mbgmike

LMC sells Triplus panels like we do and other brands to So do brothers and most all vendors. There are different Mfg's for the part it just depends on the part. Goodmark used to sell Triplus but they have moved on to a another supplier for there parts. Thats what Outback here in Spring sells mostly is from Goodmark
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I can only say that you will probably not find much difference in fit from company to company.Warranty and metal thickness may vary but I doubt if any co. can afford to make a panel that is already made by someone else.The cost of tooling and such is so high that there is not enough demand to warrant the tooling required to make a part already made by someone else.The exception would probably be on smaller parts.I think most aftermarket sheetmetal is made by a company overseas and may be boxed in several manufacturers packaging.Different co,s may spec different thickness of metal but I think most are stamped from the same dies.I do know there are a couple of thicknesses of inner fenders since I have actually seen/felt the difference.I also can't swear to any of this it's just from looking at lots of aftermarket sheetmetal.
The debate on fit of aftermarket panels will also continue but to be truthful,these trucks didn't have the tighter gaps most expect when they were built and will not have them without working at it.There is also the issue of "settling".In 40 years if you haven't settled a bit then someone never used you for a truck.
Now these are just my opinions but they are from personal observation and I may be judging from a different perspective than others.
Yes there are in fact differences in the Mfg of inner fenders. Triplus are the closest to stock the others are lighter
Old 04-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

None of the companies you will buy from make the panels, so wherever you buy them you have no absolute way of knowing who made the parts.

If I'm paying shipping I don't want to pay tax, so I try to buy from the closest place that's out of state, or from the swap meet.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
67/72junkie
Account Suspended

I buy all my aftermarket sheetmetal at the swap meets and make sure it is tri plus no matter what vendor I get the parts from.4 years ago I replaced all the panels on a friends 72 swb fenders ,doors, bedsides,tailgate, rockers,hood,all goodmark with tri plus stickers.I hung the doors on the cab first and fit the rockers next.I hung the front fenders next lining them up with the doors.I then set the hood and adjusted the front with the brackets on the core support.I had to add a factory style shim or 2 as needed behind the fenders to get the correct gap along the length of the hood then I had to readjust the door hinges slightly.Other than adding a few shims where needed I had no problems at all.The truck looks awsome.I recently tried to hang a set of goodmark doors for a guy and they would not fit no matter how I tried to adjust them.I hung 2 old doors on the truck to check out the fitment of the new rockers and they lined up fine.He said the doors were goodmark parts but they were definantly not the same quaility as the previous set I installed and I didn't see a triplus sticker on them.I have installed a least a dozen sets of triplus rockers and never had a fitment issue.they are way better than any other aftermarket rocker I have ever seen.
67/72junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
files007

Thank you guys. I have gatherd alot of info from this. This is my first biuld of something this old and just trying to same myself time and money buy doing a lil research first.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
files007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
LMC sells Triplus panels like we do and other brands to So do brothers and most all vendors. There are different Mfg's for the part it just depends on the part. Goodmark used to sell Triplus but they have moved on to a another supplier for there parts. Thats what Outback here in Spring sells mostly is from Goodmark
mbgmike man I'm sure glade I bumped into you here. if you are in webster I'm only a 3 hour dive from you and I pass by there everyonce in a while going to lake jackson. If I decide to do all my business with you can I just drive and pick the parts up instead of paying for shipping. that would save me a bundle.

Last edited by files007; 04-18-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by files007 View Post
mbgmike man I'm sure glade I bumped into you here. if you are in webster I'm only a 3 hour dive from you and I pass by there everyonce in a while going to lake jackson. If I decide to do all my business with you can I just drive and pick the parts up instead of paying for shipping. that would save me a bundle.
I am usually in Freeport everyday these days. I went back to Dow since business has slowed down some. If you buy online the parts do not include a shipping cost and is added on. If you buy here the price will be higher in store cause we have to have the parts shipped to us to. When we send in a large stocking order its sometimes free shipping to us so we don't charge extra. If not in stock and have to order we generally have to add some shipping per part to the order. We have a two year refund policy on all parts if not installed in case you change your mind on a build. We also will take installed parts in

trade for upgrades etc. for example we had a customer wanting a bowtie embossed frt bed panel after he installed a plain one. We buy that back and apply the money to the upgrade.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
shocker

all the panels i buy are COUNTERPART and i have had good luck with the fit even the doors fit good. The rockers cab corners and supports are TABCO which are the best ive seen.