The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
bhinson70

1964 Chevy C20 Parking Brake

I am new to the forum. This looks like a great site to talk to fellow Chevy Truck fans. I have a recently purchased 1964 Chevy C20 Longebed Stepside Truck. I accidently took off driving it without fully releasing the parking brake lever. It's teh Heavy Duty version with the leaver in the floor, not on the dash. A few miles down the road I got a burning smell and a cloud of smoke form under the truck. I quickly realized what was wrong and released the lever. Ever since that, my park brake is not working and I can smell a sort of burnt smell when I drive the truck. I have also noticed that it is almost like the brake is dragging or partially engaged. I checked under teh truck and cannot see anything visually wrong at the back of the transmission, where the park brake"drum" is located. Anybody got any ideas on what's going on here?
bhinson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: 1964 Chevy C20 Parking Brake

probably the pads on the drum are worn out nowand that is why the brake does not hold.
I would probably jack it up and put in nuetral, and get under there and turn the driveshaft by hand, to see if the whole drum is dragging.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Sixxer

Re: 1964 Chevy C20 Parking Brake

^ What he said and there is an adjustment rod that's threaded and may need tightened to actually grab. I had to do this to mine, I had to pull the parking brake so hard it would smash into the floor towards the seat. Now it only needs pulled halfway to hold the truck on a flat surface, then pulled all the way if its on a slight hill.
Sixxer is offline   Reply With Quote