The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 AM   #1
jesdude7789

TBI replacement

I'm looking into getting a rebuilt TBI from a place like CFM tech but I'm wondering if I just want to get the reconditioned bottom half only for the issue of the leaky throttle shafts, and then disassemble, clean, and rebuild the injector pod top half and reinstall it on the new bottom OR..... should i just get the whole reconditioned tbi with the top half having the fuel injectors "ultrasonically" cleaned and all that??

I don't want to pay the additional 150 bucks or so for the top half if I can help it! I would think that cleaning the injector parts and using the oreilly rebuild kit would be sufficient.

Anybody replace theirs with one of thesse and had a good experience with them?

And I'm not going to buy the Holley unit from oreillys because I dont have a hopped up engine to match the increase in air flow that the holley unit offers.

Last edited by jesdude7789; 04-18-2010 at 03:30 AM.
jesdude7789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
jesdude7789

Re: TBI replacement

?????
Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Pyrotechnic

A clean set of injectors metering the proper amount of fuel will definitely help. Just running some injector cleaning through your tank of often not enough to clean them, but the ultrasonic cleaning can break the dirt loose. A 20+ year old set of injector is most likely due for a cleaning.

As for the bottom portion, it wouldn't hurt to check yours out first. The throttle shafts may not be worn out at all. Take it off and see if the play is excessive.

My plan of action would be the check the throttle shafts, and if that is OK simply rebuild it myself with a set of professionally cleaned or new injectors, whichever is cheaper.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
87gmcsierra

i just got a rebuild kit for mine and 2 new injectors and it works great, i tell you what tho never and i mean never waste your money on that holley tbi its junk .
87gmcsierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
jesdude7789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
A clean set of injectors metering the proper amount of fuel will definitely help. Just running some injector cleaning through your tank of often not enough to clean them, but the ultrasonic cleaning can break the dirt loose. A 20+ year old set of injector is most likely due for a cleaning.

As for the bottom portion, it wouldn't hurt to check yours out first. The throttle shafts may not be worn out at all. Take it off and see if the play is excessive.

My plan of action would be the check the throttle shafts, and if that is OK simply rebuild it myself with a set of professionally cleaned or new injectors, whichever is cheaper.
I will check the shaft to make sure, I havent thoroughly played with it yet, I used to have an 89 model where the shaft was so worn that I was cruising through a saltgrass steakhouse parking lot and it got stuck! It was kinda scary since it was like the toyota thing on the news everyones talking about and started to run away on me except I knew to slap it in neutral and shut it off so I was okay but It probably scared bystanders when the engine went revving so high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87gmcsierra View Post
i just got a rebuild kit for mine and 2 new injectors and it works great, i tell you what tho never and i mean never waste your money on that holley tbi its junk .
Where did you buy your new injectors from?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post

Yea x2 that's pretty much what I was thinking too man! Good luck with it all!
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #7
87gmcsierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesdude7789 View Post
I will check the shaft to make sure, I havent thoroughly played with it yet, I used to have an 89 model where the shaft was so worn that I was cruising through a saltgrass steakhouse parking lot and it got stuck! It was kinda scary since it was like the toyota thing on the news everyones talking about and started to run away on me except I knew to slap it in neutral and shut it off so I was okay but It probably scared bystanders when the engine went revving so high!

Where did you buy your new injectors from?
bought them from advance auto parts , they came with both rings the brass 1 and the rubber 1 , they were kinda costly tho .
87gmcsierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:21 AM   #8
Desert1957

The CFM Tech TBI is AWESOME! , If you can possibly afford the whole unit your truck will run so much better. Mine had every problem, sticking , leaking throttle shafts , sluggish performance. Runs like new now , super smooth pedal effort , better gas mileage and the best part more POWER!

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
355bullet

try these guys...might help
www.affordable-fuel-injection.com
355bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
jesdude7789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
The CFM Tech TBI is AWESOME! , If you can possibly afford the whole unit your truck will run so much better. Mine had every problem, sticking , leaking throttle shafts , sluggish performance. Runs like new now , super smooth pedal effort , better gas mileage and the best part more POWER!

Desert
I bought some of his stuff last year and it was a very good experience, he was very helpful and informative sooooooo...... I just ordered a throttle body from him! Again he was nice and informative over the phone. I looked at all the stuff on ebay but you cant call anyone or get much information and i was reading bad reviews and lost items and all kinds of stuff! screw that. I will go to oreillys and buy new injectors and the rebuild kit when the throttle body gets here.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesdude7789 View Post
I'm looking into getting a rebuilt TBI from a place like CFM tech but I'm wondering if I just want to get the reconditioned bottom half only for the issue of the leaky throttle shafts, and then disassemble, clean, and rebuild the injector pod top half and reinstall it on the new bottom OR..... should i just get the whole reconditioned tbi with the top half having the fuel injectors "ultrasonically" cleaned and all that??

I don't want to pay the additional 150 bucks or so for the top half if I can help it! I would think that cleaning the injector parts and using the oreilly rebuild kit would be sufficient.

Anybody replace theirs with one of thesse and had a good experience with them?

And I'm not going to buy the Holley unit from oreillys because I dont have a hopped up engine to match the increase in air flow that the holley unit offers.
Contact Sean at SPR performance. This gentleman takes the time and care in reworking (if required) & preparing every single TB he touches. Very reasonable and knows TB inside and out.

http://tbiparts.com/

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote