The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Sammie

Windshield Weatherstrip

Hi Guys,

I need your help. I'm about to instaal my front windshield and took the weatherstrip I bought from LMC out of the box. And then there was a problem; I have no clue on what channel to use.

I've bought the standard weatherstrip without the chrome trim but it has 3 channels on it. One is (I think) on the side you install on your truck (nr. 3 on the drawing) and two are on the glass side of the weatherstrip (no 1 and 2) In which channel do I put the windshield?

I've made some pictures of mine and a quick drawing of how the weatherstrip looks like

I anyone has pictures of theirs installed (whitout the trim) please post them.

p.s. I know I should hire a professional to install the windshield, but there are few in The Netherlands who know anything about these trucks and they are very expensive to hire.
Attached Images

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
HOGDADDY

Re: Windshield Weatherstrip

It looks to me they sent you the one for the locking strip imho. That gasket is correct for the black and Chrome lock strip.

Standard should be PN#38-5911

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 04-20-2010 at 05:04 PM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Sammie

That's what I'm afraid of too (although the plastic bag it came in says it's a standard weatherstrip). But why is there the somewhat T-shape at one end?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Burlinator
Just Another Crazy Canuck

Inside

Outside

I also have another truck that has the trim as well if you'd like to pics
Old 04-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

I think there are only 2 choices... I just put a windshield in mine and the inner grove goes on the metal of the cab(put sealer in there) and install the rubber. Then once the gasket is in place install the glass. Then install the chrome or black lock strip. I dont think you can get new rubber that comes without a lock strip?
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Burlinator
Just Another Crazy Canuck

Here's one with the trim/locking strip, as you can see in the pic it has a completely seperate groove to slip into

Have you tried putting the rubber onto the glass? it should only fit one way
And installing your own glass is no big deal, just have a buddy put slight pressure on the glass while you pull the rope and you will be fine
Old 04-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
HOGDADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlinator View Post
Here's one with the trim/locking strip, as you can see in the pic it has a completely seperate groove to slip into

Have you tried putting the rubber onto the glass? it should only fit one way
And installing your own glass is no big deal, just have a buddy put slight pressure on the glass while you pull the rope and you will be fine
I was under the impression that the rope trick on windshields was used on earlier model trucks.......... at least thats what the old school glass man was telling me couple weeks ago that installed my windshield.

Besides I had the new gasket already installed on truck and he had windshield installed in no time ( like 10 min or so) without any help from me.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 04-21-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

mine is the black type.sorry not that close a pic.other is from inside looking at wiper.....covered in pollen
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Panelman55

LMC Strikes again!!! looks like the wrong trim. IMO
Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Sammie

I'm not sure LMC delivered the wrong trim. When I see the pics "Burlinator" posted I think mine is the same as his without the trim. I'll try to install it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
raws67

LMC sent you the correct weatherstrip. Did you order the lockstrip? Our trucks use a lockstrip and no you do not use the rope on this style of seal. I had one hell of a fight installing mine last month ended up breaking a windshield and having a pro come out to install a new one. He said the new seals have a large plastic content that makes them a bi&^h to install. I left the seal in the sun all morning and that helped to make it more plyable. Then he taped the seal in position on the window frame. Then he used a silicone spray on the insde of the seal where the glass goes. Him and his helper used two of those suction cup sticks and set the window in the bottom edge of the seal and started using plastic sticks to work the seal around the glass. The top corners started getting so tight he almost abandoned the job but he was able to get the seal on around the glass. His helper worked the seal from inside the cab while he worked it and pushed from outside. After that he had a handy little tool he used to swipe that lock strip in around the outside lockstrip opening. That tool made short work of the lockstrip. He used no sealant and it does not leak one single bit. He said if it still had original seal it would have taken 10 minutes total to swap bad glass. He also said that seal from lmc was better than some that he has seen and he has been in the business for at least 20 years. Good Luck. One thing to consider is if you do it yourself how much will it cost to replace the glass campared to paying the big bucks for someone to install it. Just a thought.

Last edited by raws67; 04-21-2010 at 09:52 AM.
raws67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
HOGDADDY

My glass guy was gonna use the silicone sealant and I stopped him and he just used glass cleaner instead since I was doing some painting.

Fwiw the correct G.M. gasket and lock strip are still available but will probably cost more than the glass but all in all, mine fit very nicely.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Sammie

Hi Guys,

A quick update; both windows are in. It was quite an easy job. I think the hard has yet to come. I still have to install the lockstrip but that's on order now. Strange, lmc sells a complete weatherstrip set but it does not include the locking strip.

I'll post a picture later on.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #14
raws67

Sounds like you accomplished the hardest part then. Most glass shops have rolls of that lock strip so maybee thats why you can get it without.
raws67 is offline   Reply With Quote