The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
ShredSled

Best Static Drop for '67 SWB stepper?

I'm currently pondering over the CPP set-up...
looking at around a 5/7 drop (is it even possible to go lower on a static susp.?) to put on a '67 SWB step-side that will be on 17" wheels with ~28" tires up front and probably 29" tires out back.

Currently looking hard at the CPP front upper and lower control arms (apparantly have better geometry for low ride-height, and hoping but unsure, that they may help center the wheels in the lowered wheel well better, anyone confirm?), and will go along with their modular 2" drop spindles and some 3" front drop springs and shocks and double shear shock brace. Rear would be center cross-member with tubular trailing arms and bolt-in frame notch with, can't decide, either 5" drop spring and 2" blocks, or 6" spring (CPP doesn't list one, but saw one from ECE) and 1" block, along with the proper shocks and relocators and deluxe track bar.

So what's the consensus on the set-up, or one like it? I did a quick search here, but nothing showed up on that complete kit, although I did find a nice article on it on some website magazine...

I've got to ask, is anyone else here running it like that?
Worth the coin to do a static suspension like that?

Are there any other companies that sell competetive components?
Most all high end stuff I see is for bagged configurations only, such as Porterbuilt, where I was looking at their x-member and trailing arms, as well as control arms, but they seem to be only for bags... wait time and cost might drive me away from getting those to work with a static drop.

Give me some input, let's hear what you've all got to say!
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Best Static Drop for '67 SWB stepper?

I've run a lot of 5 inch front drops without resorting to aftermarket front control arms. With a 2.5 spindle and 3 inch spring, it will still align correctly.

In the rear, I differ from most but I don't care for using any more lowering block than necessary. I'd do a 6 inch spring and 1 inch block. The reason I shy away from blocks is I think they look funny when you look at the truck from the rear with the trailing arms hanging down too low. Another member here that I respect highly, Scoti, likes the 5 inch spring with 2 inch block. The low hanging trailing arms don't bother him. It's all personal opinion.

Either way you arrive at 7 in the rear, add a bolt in c notch, long track bar and shock relocators and you will be quite happy and won't have done anything drastic to reinvent the wheel.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Shane
Account Suspended

Go with the ECE 5/7 kit ... you can thank me later.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
ShredSled

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I've run a lot of 5 inch front drops without resorting to aftermarket front control arms. With a 2.5 spindle and 3 inch spring, it will still align correctly.

In the rear, I differ from most but I don't care for using any more lowering block than necessary. I'd do a 6 inch spring and 1 inch block. The reason I shy away from blocks is I think they look funny when you look at the truck from the rear with the trailing arms hanging down too low. Another member here that I respect highly, Scoti, likes the 5 inch spring with 2 inch block. The low hanging trailing arms don't bother him. It's all personal opinion.

Either way you arrive at 7 in the rear, add a bolt in c notch, long track bar and shock relocators and you will be quite happy and won't have done anything drastic to reinvent the wheel.
I was looking at the tubular control arms because I know I'm going to be bottoming on them no matter what I try (live on a dirt road), and they also claim to add in caster for better centering and less twitch, I believe... and like I mentioned above, I can't confirm but I was hoping that maybe they also centered the wheel in the lowered wheel well a little better than just stock pushed to the back...

As for the rear, yeah, this is why I'm asking, to find what people who have these setups like and dislike...
I'm wondering if the 5" spring and 2" block would give more clearance for exhaust over the trailing arms, or is this not even an issue with the 6" spring and 1" block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Go with the ECE 5/7 kit ... you can thank me later.

I'm looking at the CPP "modular" spindle, which is a 2" drop and doesn't push the track width as far out as traditional drop spindles... I don't think ECE offers these at this point.
I know all I read on their parts is completely positive so I am looking their direction as well, like I said, at least for the 6" rear spring...

oh and by the way, this is the set-up I was eyeballing in this online article:
http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/09...installed.html
Old 04-21-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
Raguemoe

I have the CPP Grand Slam setup with the modular spindle (cross drilled rotors) up front. I'm using the stock A-arms. My setup has 2" spindles (pull the wheels in some on each side), 3" front springs, 5" rear springs, 2" blocks, C-notch kit, dropped shocks, adj panhard bar and rear shock relocators. I'm happy with the ride (firm but good), but I only like it this low with my 20/22 combo (with my rally wheels I bottom out on speed bumps etc....) I hear that the front tubular arms change the caster to a more modern angle, but never heard about them centering the wheel. All together a very good and complete kit (I switch from 4 wheel drum w/six lug to front disc and 5-lug)
Attached Images

Raguemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
ShredSled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguemoe View Post
I have the CPP Grand Slam setup with the modular spindle (cross drilled rotors) up front. I'm using the stock A-arms. My setup has 2" spindles (pull the wheels in some on each side), 3" front springs, 5" rear springs, 2" blocks, C-notch kit, dropped shocks, adj panhard bar and rear shock relocators. I'm happy with the ride (firm but good), but I only like it this low with my 20/22 combo (with my rally wheels I bottom out on speed bumps etc....) I hear that the front tubular arms change the caster to a more modern angle, but never heard about them centering the wheel. All together a very good and complete kit (I switch from 4 wheel drum w/six lug to front disc and 5-lug)
Nice, lookin' gooooood!
I think I actually like it better on the rallies!
Are those intro vista's? Not the look I'm going for, but it does look great on your truck!

I've got to ask, how tall are your tires on the 20/22 set-up, and how tall are your tires on the 15" set-up???

I'm only going to be running 17's right now, but I don't have tires yet so I can always get something a bit taller if need be...
Like I said in the original post, I'm currently looking at some ~28" tall tires in the front, and some 29" tires for rear, more specifically, some 255/55/17 up front, and some 275/55/17 in the rear. Do you think these would fit fine?

Luckily I don't have to deal with speed bumps around here, but I do have to dodge potholes and driveway entrances!
Do you notice any wear or cracks on your stock LCA's from bottoming?

Also, I'm a bit curious, are you running headers? Are you also running your exhaust routed above the trans cross-member, and through the trailing arm x-member???

Oh, and did you order direct from CPP?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

ECE offers a 4.5/6" drop kit which is what I installed on my '69. Check it out in my build thread below.

Good luck with the order and install, be sure to post some pics of your progress.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Raguemoe

I don't remember what tire size I'm running (245/35-20 & 265/30-22 I think), you can look it up on my N2Deep project post. I hit the speed bumps when I drop of my 8 year old at her school (I would make "funny faces" pulling through the parking lot with the rallys on). My truck does have headers and the exhaust hanges below the stock crossmember. I'm going to put a 327 back into it later and change to some 2.5" ram horns manifolds and reroute the exhaust. I've never hit the LCA's, just the front sway bar bracket & the exhaust.

The wheels are Intro Vista's (20/22). I pulled them off my project truck!
Raguemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #9
ShredSled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguemoe View Post
I don't remember what tire size I'm running (245/35-20 & 265/30-22 I think), you can look it up on my N2Deep project post. I hit the speed bumps when I drop of my 8 year old at her school (I would make "funny faces" pulling through the parking lot with the rallys on). My truck does have headers and the exhaust hanges below the stock crossmember. I'm going to put a 327 back into it later and change to some 2.5" ram horns manifolds and reroute the exhaust. I've never hit the LCA's, just the front sway bar bracket & the exhaust.

The wheels are Intro Vista's (20/22). I pulled them off my project truck!

hmmmm, those tire sizes are not all that tall on your 20/22 wheels... seems you'd bottom just as much there.
Any chance you happen to remember the height/size of the tires on your 15" rallies???