The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
nrb's70gmc

Stripping chrome

Are there any backyard mechanics way to strip chrome?? like with chimicals or somthing like how paint stripper works???

i want to have a "body color" front grill (gmc)
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
jwn1975

Re: Stripping chrome

I did a complete set of upper andl lower chrome. I used zip strip and a grey scotch pad. I then bought a small grinder with two cloth wheels from Harbour Freight. I also bought the rouge set for the cloth wheels. I polished the upper and lower chrome like a mirror. Masked and painted the upper chrome black. Masked and painted the lower chrome black and put on the new wood grain tape. MAN IT LOOKS GOOD FOR CHEAP.
jwn1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Painting chrome can be done- it just needs to be done right. The first step is a good cleaning and dewaxing. Then scuff the surface with a Red scotch-brite. After that wash the pieces again with brake cleaner to get any grease and grime from the newly exposed surfaces. Then lay down a good epoxy primer (DP90 for instance) making sure to add some adhesion promoter. From what I've heard (and seen on TV), House of Kolor sells one of the better ones out there. Once the primer has flashed- spray your color, but not too thick- just enough to get good, even coverage. Finally, spray your clear.

However, if you want to strip the chrome off entirely- you'll need to employ the services of a plating shop to get this done, cause the chemicals required are hella nasty!!

Good luck and post up some pics when you get this done- I'm curious how it turns out.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
cdowns

i just use high pressure blasting been doing it for years, large things like bumpers i do outside with sand smaller things like wheels i do in my cabinet where i can use a more aggressive media // just did a pair of wheels this past weekend that came out great
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote