The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
dabruce15

3-Speed Column to Floor Conversion

Does anyone have pictures of the hole they cut for this? I bought an Indy 3-speed because my column is shot. I couldn't find an FAQ for this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Praise the lowered!
dabruce15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: 3-Speed Column to Floor Conversion

Shifter placement will vary from truck to truck slighly.You may have to mount the shifter and figure out the hole from there.As far as your column shifter being shot....I doubt it.I have seen some that wouldn't work at all get a good cleaning and lube and work like a charm.In fact mine did it this spring.I just hadn't degreased and lubed it lately.The other thing is the bushings on the shifter arms need to be in good shape.There is a great write up in the FAQ's on column shifter rehab and adjustment.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
cdowns

it's amazin how moving parts love to b cleaned and lubed to work smoothly
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Also there are two screws that can adjust the "slack" in the shifter.
Attached Images

sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Here is the only pic I have of it, I already welded it up and will be using my column shifter.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
dabruce15

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
Here is the only pic I have of it, I already welded it up and will be using my column shifter.

Thanks for the pic. It's good to have a reference point.

Praise the lowered!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
chevy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakysnake View Post
Also there are two screws that can adjust the "slack" in the shifter.
Where is the second as I only see the one???

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy88 View Post
Where is the second as I only see the one???
Its straight across from each other.Notice the spiral slot, that lets it tighten the bushings.Loosen the clamp and two side bolts and tap the clamp counterclockwise.
Attached Images

Last edited by sneakysnake; 05-05-2010 at 05:53 PM.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
chevy88

Thanks for the tip I will try that instead of going to a floor shifter as I thought it was just worn out.

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
frog trucker

Location: Smack-dab in the middle of "The land of fruits and nuts", Sacramento, CA

Did ya cut the hole yet? My camera is shot, so I can't help with pics, sorry. I cut the hole for my Hurst Indy shifter just last night. lmk if you want me to describe how I determined where to make the hole in the floor.
frog trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
dabruce15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog trucker View Post
Did ya cut the hole yet? My camera is shot, so I can't help with pics, sorry. I cut the hole for my Hurst Indy shifter just last night. lmk if you want me to describe how I determined where to make the hole in the floor.
I haven't had time yet, so any lessons learned you'd like to share would be appreciated. Thanks!

Praise the lowered!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
mr mike

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=393318
Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
dabruce15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mike View Post
Awesome pics mr mike! That's going to be a big help!

Praise the lowered!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:41 AM   #14
frog trucker

Location: Smack-dab in the middle of "The land of fruits and nuts", Sacramento, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabruce15 View Post
I haven't had time yet, so any lessons learned you'd like to share would be appreciated. Thanks!
Okay Bruce, I hope you have your Hurst installation instructions handy. My Hurst is one I bought off eBay . . . it’s N.O.S. so my instructions are REV. 3/87. Your instruction sheet might be the same as mine. My installation instructions in step one read “Use the stock transmission bolts to fasten brace, bracket, and leg to transmission”. First tip for you . . . go to the hardware store (Lowe’s) and buy some new bolts and flat washers! I followed the instructions and pulled a few threads out of my case. The stock bolt was too short when used with the original-thick split-ring lockwasher! I used two grade-5 hex cap screws, 7/16-14 x 1-1/2, on the left side for the “Mounting Bracket “ and “Bracket Leg”. The top right bolt hole in my trans case is a open through hole, so to mount the upper “Brace”, I used a 7/16-14 x 2 grade 5 hex cap screw. I cleaned the holes with “Brake cleaner spray” and put a couple drops of blue Loc-tite on the new bolts.
To mark the spot to cut-out the floor, I scribed the bottom of the floorpan with a long screwdriver held flat alongside the”Mounting Bracket” (PT 1170189 on your instruction sheet). I wanted a line directly above and parallel to the edge of the ”Mounting Bracket”. I scribed as far forward and back on the floorpan as I could go. The instructions say select a hole (in the ”Mounting Bracket”) for the location of the shifter mechanism . . . I decided to use the forward most, upper hole in the ”Mounting Bracket”. (BTW, the speedo cable will just barely clear the shift rods and shifter mechanism). Next, I temporarily bolted the shifter mechanism to the ”Mounting Bracket”. It would not go on vertically because it hit the floor (right where the cutout needs to be!), so I rotated the shifter mechanism until I could bolt it on. I then used the long screwdriver alongside the shifter mechanism to scribe the floor in the same manner as before. That gave me two parallel lines scribed that were the same distance apart as the width of the shifter mechanism. The shifter was then removed from the bracket so I could mark the front and rear of the area to be cut-out. I marked the floor directly vertical above the shifter-mounting hole, measured 1-1/2" ahead of and behind that mark to complete the boarders for the cutout.
I used a SHARP bit (large enough for a saw blade to fit through) in my cordless drill to make a hole in each of the four corners. I went inside the cab and cut away the carpet and padding with a knife, and then I cut the floor from hole to hole with a scroll-saw. A little work with a flat-file to de-burr the saw-cut edge and I bolted the shifter handle on to see if it clears everything. I hope this helps ya and LMK if you have any other ????s!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #15
dabruce15

Quote:
Okay Bruce, I hope you have your Hurst installation instructions handy. My Hurst is one I bought off eBay . . . it’s N.O.S. so my instructions are REV. 3/87. Your instruction sheet might be the same as mine. My installation instructions in step one read “Use the stock transmission bolts to fasten brace, bracket, and leg to transmission”. First tip for you . . . go to the hardware store (Lowe’s) and buy some new bolts and flat washers! I followed the instructions and pulled a few threads out of my case. The stock bolt was too short when used with the original-thick split-ring lockwasher! I used two grade-5 hex cap screws, 7/16-14 x 1-1/2, on the left side for the “Mounting Bracket “ and “Bracket Leg”. The top right bolt hole in my trans case is a open through hole, so to mount the upper “Brace”, I used a 7/16-14 x 2 grade 5 hex cap screw. I cleaned the holes with “Brake cleaner spray” and put a couple drops of blue Loc-tite on the new bolts.
To mark the spot to cut-out the floor, I scribed the bottom of the floorpan with a long screwdriver held flat alongside the”Mounting Bracket” (PT 1170189 on your instruction sheet). I wanted a line directly above and parallel to the edge of the ”Mounting Bracket”. I scribed as far forward and back on the floorpan as I could go. The instructions say select a hole (in the ”Mounting Bracket”) for the location of the shifter mechanism . . . I decided to use the forward most, upper hole in the ”Mounting Bracket”. (BTW, the speedo cable will just barely clear the shift rods and shifter mechanism). Next, I temporarily bolted the shifter mechanism to the ”Mounting Bracket”. It would not go on vertically because it hit the floor (right where the cutout needs to be!), so I rotated the shifter mechanism until I could bolt it on. I then used the long screwdriver alongside the shifter mechanism to scribe the floor in the same manner as before. That gave me two parallel lines scribed that were the same distance apart as the width of the shifter mechanism. The shifter was then removed from the bracket so I could mark the front and rear of the area to be cut-out. I marked the floor directly vertical above the shifter-mounting hole, measured 1-1/2" ahead of and behind that mark to complete the boarders for the cutout.
I used a SHARP bit (large enough for a saw blade to fit through) in my cordless drill to make a hole in each of the four corners. I went inside the cab and cut away the carpet and padding with a knife, and then I cut the floor from hole to hole with a scroll-saw. A little work with a flat-file to de-burr the saw-cut edge and I bolted the shifter handle on to see if it clears everything. I hope this helps ya and LMK if you have any other ????s!
Thanks for all the details. I bought my setup used and didn't receive any installation directions, so this is a big help.

Praise the lowered!
Old 05-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #16
frog trucker

Do you have a number where you can receive a fax?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
dabruce15

Quote:
Do you have a number where you can receive a fax?
I'll be at work tomorrow. I'll get the fax number then. Thanks!

Praise the lowered!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:22 AM   #18
frog trucker

I'll check back on my morning break . . . maybe I can get a copy of the instructions to ya then.