The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Jblackie47803

No brake pedal

My '67 Long Fleet had been sitting at my parents' house for about 9 years when i decided to go get it and put it back on the road. The brakes would pump up good on it but would gradually fade and the pedal would drop the longer you sat stopped at a light. There was no fluid loss, so i chalked this up to a failing master cylinder. I got a new one, bench bled it and installed it. Tried to bleed the brakes but couldn't get any pedal back. Since then I have installed all new shoes, new wheel cylinders, new flex hoses, replaced most of the hard lines,replaced and adjusted the old frozen screw adjusters, and even went and got another new master cylinder and installed it. Still cannot get any pedal feel. Could the prop valve be bad and cause this. Every bleeder yields fluid and no bubbles when opened. Truck is all drum and no power booster.
Jblackie47803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: No brake pedal

**just saw - no power brakes**

if you have power brakes - check the vacuum line from the booster to the rear of the carb. It might need replaced.

If it is that old - it may be collapsing on itself and taking the firm pedal with it.

I had this on my 70 LWB project. Rebuilt the brakes and then found it to be the vacuum line causing them to be soft.

Last edited by lks dcvn; 04-26-2010 at 10:39 AM.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblackie47803 View Post
My '67 Long Fleet had been sitting at my parents' house for about 9 years when i decided to go get it and put it back on the road. The brakes would pump up good on it but would gradually fade and the pedal would drop the longer you sat stopped at a light. There was no fluid loss, so i chalked this up to a failing master cylinder. I got a new one, bench bled it and installed it. Tried to bleed the brakes but couldn't get any pedal back. Since then I have installed all new shoes, new wheel cylinders, new flex hoses, replaced most of the hard lines,replaced and adjusted the old frozen screw adjusters, and even went and got another new master cylinder and installed it. Still cannot get any pedal feel. Could the prop valve be bad and cause this. Every bleeder yields fluid and no bubbles when opened. Truck is all drum and no power booster.
I believe that is just a distribution block on a 67 with 4 wheel drum not a proportioning valve. You might try gravity bleeding them. I'm surprised you have not received more responses. I'm fighting the same issue on my truck but it is power brakes and 4 wheel disc now.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 04-27-2010 at 10:33 AM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

i would start with adjusting the shoes out
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote