The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

2 quick questions regarding my 72

1. Pulled the water pump off to replace it and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the spacer and pulley off to put on the new pump?????

2. I was doing some disassembly this weekend and behind the battery tray mounted to the fender is a black canister with a hose on it that is disconnect what is this, is it important, where do I connect it.

Thanks for the help.
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Re: 2 quick questions regarding my 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackaddict View Post
1. Pulled the water pump off to replace it and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the spacer and pulley off to put on the new pump?????

2. I was doing some disassembly this weekend and behind the battery tray mounted to the fender is a black canister with a hose on it that is disconnect what is this, is it important, where do I connect it.

Thanks for the help.
There should be 4 bolts going through the front of the pulley, then through the spacer and then into the water pump flange. Not sure if you are dealing with something different but it helps if you have a strap wrench to hold the pulley, and then a socket wrench to remove the bolts.

Hope this helps. Not sure on the canister, it could be a charcoal canister for evap or ?? Someone will chime in I am sure.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviticus View Post
There should be 4 bolts going through the front of the pulley, then through the spacer and then into the water pump flange. Not sure if you are dealing with something different but it helps if you have a strap wrench to hold the pulley, and then a socket wrench to remove the bolts.

Hope this helps. Not sure on the canister, it could be a charcoal canister for evap or ?? Someone will chime in I am sure.
I got the four bolts out (the ones that go through the fan, through the spacer, throught the pulley into the flange), now I just can't seperate the pulley and spacer from the pump?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackaddict View Post
I got the four bolts out (the ones that go through the fan, through the spacer, throught the pulley into the flange), now I just can't seperate the pulley and spacer from the pump?
Ah, got cha. I would just give it some persuasion, or if there is room where you won't hit the fan bump it with a rubber mallet.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Oh and Thank You for your service to this Great Country Kevin!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
mclairmo

Be careful, the pulley can be easily bent. It's likely rusted onto the snout of the water pump shaft and needs a soaking with WD-40 or your favorite penetrant. Give it a day or two and then try to wiggle it off or gently tap it off. Do not put the pulley in a vice, you will bend/warp the pulley. Ask me how I know. Feel free to put the water pump in a vice if need be.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

thanks guys, I will put the pump in the vice at work tomorrow and soak it for a day or two and then pull it (or tap) it off.

Any clue on the black metal canister? It does have 2 lines that are not used and then on line on it.