The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
matt24

new guy with a 75 3/4 ton 4x4

Gotta say, awesome site. Wanted to post up my new ride but I'll give the background on it first.

It's a 75 3/4 ton 4x4 4 speed. I bought it from a buddies dad who's owned it the last 25+ years. This thing has, for the last 15+ years, been used exclusively as a wood hauler. It's beat up, I call it character for now. Truck has alot of history, apparently the orginal owner has a wall of trophies from pulling it in the late 70's and early 80's. So far I'm pleasantly surprised, I had about a 25 mile trip home from my buddies dad farm that I'd planned on taking county (gravel) roads for the majority of the way(my buddy and his dad were both a little leary of driving highway speeds with this thing). Well I had to take it about 5 miles on pavement to get some gas and it did fine so I took highway all the way home, no problems...that I could tell. It had been sitting outside for about the last 5 years and looked terrible I took about half a container of heavy rubbing compound and went to work, it still looks rough...apparently rubbing compound doesn't remove rust and add clear coat

I'm pretty pleased with the $750 I have in it. Still not sure what my offical plan is for it. It was just gonna be an on the farm truck, haul wood, trash etc...but I don't know. I'm afraid if I stick around here too much it's gonna get expensive for me

Anyway here it is as it sits.
Attached Images

matt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
evowerks

Re: new guy with a 75 3/4 ton 4x4

Great find!!...especially for that price.

69 C-30 flatbed/dump on a '88 P30 chassis
70 C-30 Cab & Chassis http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291544
67 GMC Camper Cruiser cab

73 Gmc K25 Sierra Grande BUILD THREAD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291276
evowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

people here have started with alot less... thats a nice truck id say go for broke and make it a show piece!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Hey welcome to the best boards around from MT! Sweet looking truck defiantly sounds like its got some character that's awesome though. I say drive it and have fun and fix what you need to and keep trucking buddy!
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Welcome Aboard !

Looks like you got a heck of a deal on that rig for sure....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
matt24

Thanks for the kind words.

Last night I took it down to the farm and me and the old man put some new plugs and wires in it...stuff I (we) already had from previous vehicles (= free).
Got done with that and pulled the seat and then the carpet. Carpet needed to go, too many mice calling it home for too many years. Slapped the seat back in and for now I'm planning on getting the cab sealed up so I can keep the varmits out and then working on some kinda flooring for it...thinking of rolling on some herculiner type stuff and then a rubber mat for the floor...who knows.

I really wish I'd remember to take before and during pics. I snapped some bare floor board pics this morning but I wish I had pics of the the crap that was under that seat, it was a sight to see.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
donut

Nice!
That's about what I gave for my '73, but the bed had rotted off years ago and the floors would have scared Fred Flintstone. Fixing can get expensive, but at least when your done you know you have a good solid truck, not a beer can on wheels. (and payments)

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
matt24

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
Nice!
That's about what I gave for my '73, but the bed had rotted off years ago and the floors would have scared Fred Flintstone. Fixing can get expensive, but at least when your done you know you have a good solid truck, not a beer can on wheels. (and payments)

This one could be a Sunday truck...it's holey enough!! Bed floor has been replaced at some point and what's in there now is starting to look rough. It's got some patched in floor boards that are holding together alright. Last night I did a little extra patching on the cab though, it was pretty holey between the floors to under the doors, got 'er patched up pretty decent...I don't weld so it's pieces of sheet metal screwed in and I'll be going over all the seams with some silicone...just doing what I can with what I got
Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
donut

Did you find the t-shirt bondo'd over that someone called a cab corner? (at least I hope it was an old shirt )

Up north, mother nature has really taken it's toll on the old trucks.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
matt24

Been a few weeks since I posted anything on my ride. Been doing lots of tinkering for sure. I'm gonna admit I'm a cheap SOB and this truck fits me well. I've done quite abit these past couple weeks for minimal money. I found some carpet and pad for free...which is too good of a price for me to pass up, so I've got new (to me) flooring. I redid the floor on my boat this spring and had enough carpet from that left over to cover up the dash. I got the radio hooked back up, gotta have some noise other than the sweet sound of the 350. Found some 16.5 radials on CL for $100 to replace the 20 year old bi-plys that I could dang near see daylight thru.

Here it is as it sat last night.
Attached Images