The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2003, 01:00 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Question Recent parts order and ?'s about stuff

I put in an order last night.

Im taking my chances on the clear distr. cap. Ill let you guys know how it goes.

I also forked out the cash and got the painless wire harness for my gauges. Along with some of their indicator lights/ (2) 1/2" green ones for the turn signal indicators and (1) 1/8" blue one for the brights.

I also got a shift light that is adjustable (its the proform one). My tach doesnt have a shift light or a spot to hook up a shift light. Can I just split the wire from the tach terminal or would that cause a false reading? I almost bought the msd tach splitter but the description left we wondering if it would work, and it was $5, so I passed.

The rest is little minor things. Im gonna order the valve covers today and buy alot of stuff in town. Ill be sure to pist some pictures of the stuff I add when I get it in. May be a few weeks.

Mike, I noticed that you have little indicator lights in the automatic trans indicator location. I have wanted to put a shift light behind there forever. What did you do to attach a flat piece there? I would of course be using an acrylic of some sort, or have the shift light protrude out of that location like the rest of my gauges (shift light it also silver). I wont make that decision till I have the shift light in hand and can see its size. Do you have any pictures from the back of your bezel that would show me how you attached the flat piece with the lights on it? I thought about glueing it, but then if it gets scratched what would I do? I guess I could glue some nuts on their and just bolt on the clear lens. Let me know what you did.

Also where can I buy something to trigger a warning light? For example if the water temp gets to 210 or 220 I want a light to come on, how can I do this?

Last edited by PHOENIX; 02-10-2003 at 01:04 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #2
Tom
driving is in my blood

Ive been wondering about that clear cap. It sure looks neat! Tell me how the painless wiring kit looks when you get it, Im real curious as I have a MESS of wires under my dash.

My truck goes in for exaust either tomorrow or wensday. Ill let ya know If they use the crossmemeber or not
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:12 PM   #3
PHOENIX

Sounds great Tom. Ill be sure to post pictures of the back of the gauge cluster for those of you who are interested. Ill also try to post a video of the clear cap in use If you cant use the crossmember, give it back, i may be able to use it down the road when I figure out exactly what tranny im gonna use. If you can use it, its all yours

EDIT:
Ohh yeah the only reason I bought the painless wire harness is because mike had such good things to say about it and mine is a mess too. If mike says it works then it might work, just kidding im sure its great thats why i paid the damn money
Old 02-10-2003, 05:52 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

all I did at the shifter dial was glued a piece of aluminum sheet metal which I painted black. You will love the wiring harness. It's a real neat piece.

When I put my shift light in, I had to wire it together with the tach wire from my MSD 6AL. The shift light had to be hooked to the 6AL and since it has only one tach output, I spliced them together. Works great. Since you are hooking up to the HEI terminal, just splice onto the tach wire.

Autometer sells warning light senders.

http://autometer.com/hp/2001_catalog...sories/86.html

Scroll to bottom of page. Summit has them in stock. Go there and so a search for the one you need.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:56 PM   #5
PHOENIX

All right, thanks Mike.

Looks like everything is going to come together perfectly! I just hope I can mount this shift light in a clean manner. Here is what it looks like: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...72&prmenbr=361
I got the silver one, hoping it will match my gauges if I have to mount it out of the bezel.

Thanks for the info on the warning light senders too!
Old 02-10-2003, 06:00 PM   #6
PHOENIX

Hey Mike I notice that there are (2) temperatures provided for the water temp sender.

Will this sender turn a light on if it gets below the first number and turn the light on if it gets higher then the second number? The light is off if inbetween the (2) numbers?
Am I right about that, or did I have it all wrong?

thanks!
Old 02-10-2003, 06:48 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I think it cuts it on at the higher temp and off at the lower temp. I may be wrong, but I believe this is the way they work. Makes sense to me anyway. You could always contact Autometer and ask them. They will be able to tell for sure.

Oh, and I received the envelope today.

1985 Chevy C-10

Last edited by swervin ervin; 02-10-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:05 AM   #8
PHOENIX

Heres a few pictures for those who are interested.

Heres a picture of the wire harness (not installed yet, I get some soon). Very good quality harness with easy to follow instructions. Looks like everything Im gonna need. Mike recommended it to me, and I think it is worth the money also. You couldnt make a harness of this quality for that price and how long would it take you? You have all the different colors and then youd have to plan it out and make a diagram (atleast I would for future reference).
Old 02-14-2003, 01:22 AM   #9
PHOENIX

Heres a picture of the shift light, also not installed, but will be soon. I took it apart because Im gonna mount it down in the shift indicator location (for automatic). The plan so far is to cut the wires as noted and extend them so that the light can be where described and the adjustable RPM switch can be mounted out of view, but still easy to access. That way I can adjust at what rpm I want the light to turn on at. Does anyone see why this wouldnt work? Do you think that the longer wires may cause a delay of any sort? The bulb is pretty much like a brake light bulb.
Heres the picture.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:31 AM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

On the harness, it is a top quality product. I agree, you couldn't buy all the parts needed and put one together for any cheaper, or even as cheap, not counting the work involved. But, don't forget, if you have a electric speedo, you need to get the right harness. They have two different ones, one for a mechanical speedo, and one for electric.

On the light, I don't see why this would work. Sounds like a plan to me.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 02-14-2003, 12:18 PM   #11
PHOENIX

Quote:
On the light, I don't see why this would work. Sounds like a plan to me.
Is that a typo, or do you think it will not work?
Old 02-14-2003, 03:21 PM   #12
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Typo. Should be, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

1985 Chevy C-10