The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
vettejohn

Bolts for shoulder belts?

Does anyone know where I can get a couple of bolts for the upper attachment of the shoulder belts I have for my 71? Thanks, John
vettejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Bolts for shoulder belts?

some autoparts stores will have them in the "help" section

i've also gotten them at junkyards
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
leddzepp

I got some grade 8's from Lowes.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
StingRay

They are 7/16 NF. There is no special requirement to use grade 8. Actually grade 5 is more ductile and will deform where as a grade 8 is more inclined to snap. You'd be dead or something else would break before either fastener actually fialed though.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
They are 7/16 NF. There is no special requirement to use grade 8. Actually grade 5 is more ductile and will deform where as a grade 8 is more inclined to snap. You'd be dead or something else would break before either fastener actually fialed though.
This is my reminder to get some 3 point seat belts..pronto...thx
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Hart_Rod

I think they are shoulder bolts. You can usually find them at hardware stores.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
StingRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I think they are shoulder bolts. You can usually find them at hardware stores.
If you are talking about real seat belt shoulder bolts the best source are OEM bolts. Almost all seat belt bolts will be either 7/16 NF or 1/2 NC and it's really easy to tell them apart. Seat belt bolts come in a lot of different lengths so a trip the the wrecker will yield a large selection. Some bolts are normal thread and many are thread rollers. With a thread roller the shape of the bolt is slightlyl tri-lobular and the threads are case hardened. A special size hole is used and the bolt will roll it's own threads on the way in. These may be used on pre threaded holes just fine but don't cross thread them or bye bye threads real fast. They make really good thread restorers for damaged 7/16 threaded applications as well. You can use plain old grade 5 bolts with washers and shims and such and probably be fine but there is a certian security in using an OEM style of bolt. Depending on the application we use either of both kinds on an installation.

For a 67-72 Chev Truck Ford has a really nice seat belt bolt that looks about right. It's a part number 386277S437M. I never actually fully installed a belt in a 67-72 truck with one but I've tested the bolt and an upper tether and it looked real good. Different belts may have different reqirements.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Fitz
Account Suspended

This is not a place to cut corners on hardware. The bolt for the upper point needs to be a shoulder bolt too prevent capturing the upper harness mount which must be free to rotate. If it doesn't your neck gets sliced open by the belt.

The correct bolt is available from Juliano's hot rod shop for $6.00.

Yeah, six bucks for a single freakin 7/16 NF bolt...but it could save you a very serious injury.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
StingRay

You missed where I stated with washers and shims. You are correct the function of a shoulder bolt must be maintained so that the upper tether can rotate. The hole in a tether is sufficiently large that a sleeve would need to be used over the bolt to bring it up to size. A sufficiently large heavy washer would also need to be used as the hole size in the tether would be too large for a normal 7/16 fasteners head. In the end you would have created your own shoulder bolt and yes it is better to buy one.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
mclairmo

I heard of a seatbelt cutting through a guy's chest in an accident. Killed him. Use the correct hardware if possible.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:49 AM   #11
StingRay

Funny I do this for a living. I'll watch guys post on here all day long about putting new style integrated belt seats in these trucks with little regard for the fact they will rip through the floor without significant floor reinforcing and when I've commented on it it hasn't been recieved well. Yet about a bolt where there is some lattitude on what can be used everybody is all anal about it. Go figure. A good grade 5 7/16NF bolt, a heavy washer (1/4' thick), a spacer bushing of about a half inch for a shoulder and you are good to go if you can't find a oem shoulder bolt but oem ones are pretty easy to find. The length required for a particular application can not alway be found so making one up from components is sometimes a reasonable alternative.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
cloudbrk

The truck i just picked up just has lap belts. Is there a conversion kit available to make it so that there is a shoulder harness? Is it hard to retro fit?
cloudbrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

I could get you a pic of original shoulder harness belt bolts if you need a reference. Trevor

cloudbrk, to answer your question, no it is not really hard to retrofit newer seat belts into our trucks. I heard the late 80's-early 90's S10 seatbelts can be made to fit. Shoulder Harness belts could have been found on these trucks, but they are very rare to see. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Duncan and son

Obviously you have several options. I you want it to be original and correct use the regular seat belt bolts from a 67. They are exactly the same as the shoulder harness bolt with the exception the 67's are slightly longer. Jason figured all of this out..I always say he is smarter than a white rat. If you can not find them, let us know and we will send you a coulpe no charge.
Hope that helps Paul and Jason
1975 Silverado 454 Crew cab camper special dually

Last edited by Duncan and son; 05-02-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Duncan and son is offline   Reply With Quote