The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
zac

Busted rear shock mount

I've done some searching of the boards and haven't come up with anything for this yet. While doing the axle swap on my '79 K20, I noticed one of the upper rear shock mounts was just flopping around in the frame hole. It had clearly been swapped out and some point, but never fit right as it is much too small for the hole in the frame. I'm afraid the frame hole has ben hogged out even larger by years of this, and I may have to weld it up, if I can get to it without taking the bed off. I'm not seeing this part in the usual catalogs. If I have to, I will eat my Wheaties and drink 10 cups of coffee and head down to the boneyard with the appropriate tool kit (BFH, 3/4" drive ratchet set, can of PB, torch). But I would rather avoid this. Ideas?
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Busted rear shock mount

I am not following your question? The "mount" is nothing but a hole in the frame.
The "stud" is actually part of the shock. You don't see it listed seperately because it comes with the shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
zac

OK, the stud then. If the new studs came with the shocks someone put on in the distant past, then they put on two different ones. One fits and looks like it has been there since the beginning of time, and has a nut on the back side that would require at least a 7/8" wrench. The other one that is giving me trouble is much smaller. I will look up some replacement shocks and see if I find something useful.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Some of the help sections at the local parts store here sell the shocks studs in a single package.Hope that helps.

I have seen the elongated holes repaired a bunch of different ways from drilling a fresh hole slightly ahead or behind the original hole (not my favorite),to welding and redrilling.

Quickest I have done was use a thick washer ( thicker than the frame) center it in the hole with a new stud and tighten the living daylights out of it then weld the washer in place.
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote