The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
cheford

wheels

Hi guys, I need some help. With building my Ford panel on a 72 c10 frame the tracking width is wider than what the ford tracking width was. I've lowered the trucks suspension where the top of the tires are tucked up into the fender wells by 1-1/2" right where I'd like to keep it. My problem is the tires are rubbing the fenders and need to go in by at least 1-1/2" so I can steer. What I need to know is what size rim I would need to go with to accomplish this. Would any of you that are running 18's or 20's know if your rims would interfear with any suspension parts if they were 1-1/2 more on the positive offset.

John
cheford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
cheford

Re: wheels

Anyone, please.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

First thing we need to know is your current wheel diameter, width, offset/backspacing? Then we can help a little more.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
cheford

The best I can tell is they are 6 inch wide with a 4 inch back spacing and are 15 inch rims. The tire size that's on them are 235/75r15. Hope this is the help you need.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheford View Post
The best I can tell is they are 6 inch wide with a 4 inch back spacing and are 15 inch rims. The tire size that's on them are 235/75r15. Hope this is the help you need.
I am running 20x8.5's with 5.25" backspacing in the front of my 72 and have no inside rubbing issues at all. You should be able to go to a 5.5" backspacing as well without any interference.

Just remember that wheel width will change your backspacing and how far they will hang out etc. So you could go with a 15x6 with a 5.5" BS, that will get you your extra 1.5" in, but that wheel will be pretty funny looking with almost no lip on the outside.

So you are going to have to do some measuring and see how wide you can go with what BS you need and still have a decent looking wheel.

Hope this helps.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote