The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

dead battery problem

Whats up guys, i have a question for you that kind of has me stumped. My truck has a brand new battery and i think the alternator is good. My problem is that if i run my truck with the a/c, headlights, radio, basically everything the truck doesnt get into 13v on the voltmeter. Could it be that my alternator doesnt have enough amps to hold the charge in the battery? Its mainly when i turn the a/c on could it be that my blower motor is causeing too much strain?
staggerd86c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: dead battery problem

its prolly the regulator inside the alternator thats bad so you need a new alternator. if you take it off most auto parts places can bench test it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 05-02-2010 at 04:26 PM.
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
73chevyman

if the battery not getting a charge 1 take your positive cable off if your truck runs altinator is fine if it shuts off altinator bad... 2 if you have a mutimeter handy you should be charging at about 14v with everything on if not then your altinator will be shot... 1 is just a way to check if you don't have a mutimeter handy and i have never trusted the meter in the car cause they seem to me never accurate
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
raws67

I had this problem before in the past and it was my ALT belt in need of adjustment.
raws67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
thrtsxchambers

I recently went through this problem but with 2 battery setup. I found out the air compressor for the air ride needs rebuilt and is pulling to much voltage and the 2nd battery would not stay above 12v and compressor stopped biulding pressure above 80psi. If it drops most with the a/c on I would think it could be the a/c compressor or a part of the a/c system.
just my 2 pennies, I tested everything on the truck and finally thought the alternator could not handle 2 batteries so I put a high output alternator on and nothing changed and finally found out it was the compressor.
Double check everything and get a second opinion before you waste money on unneeded parts.

Last edited by thrtsxchambers; 05-03-2010 at 05:44 PM.
thrtsxchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

how can i check the blower motor for the a/c? i would like to get this fixed this week but im not sure what i can do to check it.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
ChevyC102007

Im having a sort of similar problem, one time the volt gauge will show charging, next time it shows a discharge and another it wont even read at all. The belt is new and adjusted properly. The truck still starts normally though, a few times it acted like the battery was dead so what gives? Bad Altenator? gauge or incorrect battery(CA and CCA)?

2001 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 4x4. (old ride)
1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic ("new" ride)
ChevyC102007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
cableguy0

The issue here could be amp draw. Voltage isnt as important as the amp draw. The alternator puts out X amount of amperage. Everything in the truck together draws X amount of amperage. If your drawing more than the alternator can put out. It wont have anything left over to charge the battery. A higher amp alternator may be needed to run everything. As alternators age they will put out less amperage. If everything works ok when its not under heavy load I would suspect a problem with alternator output.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
thrtsxchambers

I installed a high output altenator and made no difference. Not sure how to check the a/c compressor, best I could say would be to check the voltage on the battery with a/c off then turn the a/c on and see if the voltage drops. the compressor could be pulling to many amps and the battery will not charge while its on. My air compressor needs rebuilt and it is pulling to many amps to run and will not go over 80psi, i'm still waiting for the rebuild kit to get here.

I still think your problem may be from the a/c compressor, not sure if it can be checked at advance or oreillys. Maybe you could buy a compressor from them and if it fixes it then keep it if it don't then return it. I ordered parts online and they will not take a return b/c the item does work but didn't fix my problem.
thrtsxchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
misternash2

i'm not saying i think it's the ac compressor, but if that's a possibility, couldnt you just pull the belt? that would be easiest i'd think...

my guess would be heat sink into the starter. just my hunch. best of luck getting the ole gal up and running again.

also, our local parts stores can check the ALT on the vehicle. just throwing that out. if i suspected the blower motor, i'd un plug it and see if your problem goes away. again, best of luck, buddy.

Last edited by misternash2; 05-10-2010 at 08:21 AM.
misternash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

well if the a/c is on the gauge shows about 13v at idle and 14v under acceleration, when you turn the a/c on it drops to 12v or lower at idle. I was wondering if i need a higher amperage alternator because i have electric fans, fuel pump, air compressors, hids in the headlights and foglights, and everything else. so i think with the a/c on its not enough, how many amps is our factory alternator supposed to be? would on of those test at the parts store tell you the amperage being put out? how many amps do you guys think the a/c draws?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
misternash2

Holy cow. I think you may need a high output alt.if you're running all that stuff together. My local oreillys has a digital tester that displays alt amps. I'm 99% sure it does anyway.
misternash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Intimidator

You should pull a solid 14v if your ALT is keepin up, and is good.
(Of course we assume you have a good belt and tension?)

I'd start with finding out what the total maximum draw is in the vehicle.

You can measure this with a meter to find out what the AMPERES are with EVERYTHING ON

(It would be nice to know what the AC COMP is supposed to draw to verify if it is good or not, you know, if it is drawing too much.)

Compare that to the size of the ALT.

If the ALT is GOOD, and of the right AMPS, then you're lookin for what is drawing in the vehicle.

It might even be easier to just have a parts store look up a model with the AC and all that, and let you know what the ALT should be for the options, and verify yours matches and is good.

wow, blah blah blah, prolly didnt need to get into all that.

If you're runnin AC, Hi Intensity Lights, Pumps, stereo system/amps, etc etc etc I'd run AT LEAST a 105, but you could probably benefit to run up in a 140 range .

Last edited by Intimidator; 05-10-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
cableguy0

Most of the stock alternators where in the 65 amp range. You need at least 105 probably more. You just have way tooo much stuff running in the system.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

84-86 Camaro have 100+ alternators and a V-belt pulley. I ran one for years. Now I use an 08 145 amp alternator! Amps do wonders for power windows!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
73chevyman

all that crap it's like trying to run your furnance at home with a 2 pole 20 when it needs a 2 pole 40.... if you added all that stuff you either 1 get your altinator rewraped or find a bigger altinator like a 140 or something most shops can get 200 amps out of the stock altinator.... you need to go bigger
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote