The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
tim21391

should i partcipate.. need opinions

i go to college for automotive restoration technology.. so my college is known for restoring cars and learning everything bumper to bumper.. and as all yall know my truck i redone and just needs painted for the most part.. the cab is in primer along with the front clip.. and a small section on the bedside that i fixed a tad bit of rust.. and theres a few hail dents and a few dings from when i transported my bed places when i had the truck tore apart nothing major dent wise.. but theres a car show that they are expecting a great turn out.. and the student section is for all us restoration majors.. would it be a good idea to enter it just to show that its being done or what? im 19 and other people might think its trashy and im not up to par with all that mumbo jumbo.. what do u all think?..it'll be free to enter since im a student
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Re: should i partcipate.. need opinions

heck why not lol im cruisin with no bed and trailer lights!!!!! Who cares it'll be fun go for it

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
70cst

tim21391...do what makes you feel good. You will be a winner either way! JMHO

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

I just got my truck in our local car show parade, it was a blast! They block off the streets and let us all cruise and rev em out etc. I was the only 67-72 chevy truck in the whole deal, but I had a blast!

Our car shows are all model A's, 55-57 Bel Air's, a few chevelle's and Camaro's but never many trucks. I say go for it, even the trailer queens were at the stage you are at now...well unless they bought it at Barret Jackson

Take some pics!

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"

Last edited by Leviticus; 05-04-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yes, you should do it. But you need to do it for the right reasons. Your going there to show off your pride and joy and talk trucks/cars with folks that enjoy them. DO NOT do it and worry about what the judges think, or any awards. Just enjoy the day for what it is.

I have had cars/trucks that have won some rather prestigious awards. I wouldn't trade a single one of them for the friends I made while going to car shows. I meet some life long friends that would never have happened had I not attended.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
burbguy

I agree with everybody here... Don't worry about the politics of car shows, and remember be proud of what you have, and that your showing it for you, and not for anybody else. Your only bringing it out as a glimpse of what it's evolving into...!!

1966 short fleet 230 I-6 three in the tree (daily driver)
1966 short fleet big block th400 (building slowly)
1972 c10 3 door suburban 350 th350 (building faster than slowly)
2004 F250 power stroke (not dependable enough to be a daily driver)
2005 Kenworth T-800 Heavy Haul tractor (that's my true daily driver)
burbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
vectorit
What?

The first year I had my burb, I basically put a new set tires on it and scrubbed the rust holes so they wouldn't look so bad. Paint was faded down to the metal on the hood with primer spots all over the place, and the interior was complete but ragged. This was before the whole trend of worn shabby chic cars/trucks.

I started buying restoration parts just to get it road worthy, and the shop that I was buying from was sponsoring a giant Chevy truck show. The shop workers there talked me into going, while my girl friend kept asking me "are you sure"? with a worried look on her face.

Well, I roll into this show worried I'd be looked at or treated like the family drunk at Thanksgiving dinner. I parked, and the girlfriend and I split to look at the clean rides to get away from my rig really
I get back, and the guys parked next to me were all saying, where did you run off to?!? People have been asking all kinds of questions about your truck, and the judges were asking why I didn't enter it...
I though they were just pulling my leg, but really everyone did get a kick out of it and wanted to look her all over. I learned so much from everyone, and talking to like minded people it was very cool. That's the day I decided to really go all out in getting my burb to the way it is today.

So, I say do it! You will meet all kinds of cool people that have the same interest as you do in trucks like yours, and you will get a lot of interesting comments that will make you think differently about what your direction may be (at least it did with me). I thought it was a huge boost in my motivations, and was amazing to me that so many people are envious of people like us that have the talent and will to make old trucks look and run so good.

Go have fun!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
cdowns

a car show is a great way to spend a day. you never know who you'll end up talking to and what you may gain out of it. i've run into great scores of cars and parts just by standing around talking to people answering questions on my builds and you never can rule out the possibility in your situation there maybe some owners of local shops attending looking for young guys to bring into thier shops as part timers

as far as the awards thing go take that with a grain of salt
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 05-05-2010 at 07:21 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
big_al_71

Yes go and show your pride and joy that you worked on!!!!

I went to a car/truck show last year and they put me in a class where there were over 15 trucks so what they did bunched up all the trucks together. I thought to my self well at least I can hang out and look at all the nice rides since there were several true show trucks that were brought in trailers and mine is a driver not a show queen well guess what I got second place and it felt good because I thought I had zero chance to place top five even. I got to drive mine there and enjoyed the day.

Go for it and take lots of picts to share with us....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

not sure what your truck looks like but prime it out take off the hub caps and run it in there old school....

oh and you can't beat the parking..it beats walking to get in and you can always leave early
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
tim21391

thanks guys i might just actually do it.. heres a pic of the ol girl

2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
slomotion
Old Duffer

I would take it to the show without a second thought! Next year you can take it again with pictures of this years show just to prove the progress. Like everyone above has said, it's the people, the ideas, and when someone askes "are you doing the work?" you can tell them "As a matter of fact I am!". I will promise you someone will tell you that they wished they had your situation when they were your age. Good luck!

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
mclairmo

You should do it and you will be surprised at the nice comments you will receive. People will understand that your truck is a work in progress and will enjoy seeing what you have done so far. Just realize that you may get one or two haters but they're idiots. You are there to talk cars, meet some cool guys/gals and have fun, not win the best of show trophy. I've never won an award at a car show but I still enjoy it. Also, entering the show gives you awesome parking and allows you a great "home base" to look at the other cars. If you get tired, take a nap in the truck.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
not sure what your truck looks like but prime it out take off the hub caps and run it in there old school....

oh and you can't beat the parking..it beats walking to get in and you can always leave early

hell I'd do just what I said pull the rest of the trim and give it a quick coat of primer rattle can your wheels..then a cheap roll of black window tint on the back window and I ........wait then it would be my truck??
Attached Images

Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

I think that what you are hearing here is what you will be hearing at the show because these are the people that go to these shows. Go in with realistic expectations and have a good time. It really is about the camaraderie. Graduate with some skills and you will be taking it to SEMA someday!

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote