The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2003, 01:08 AM   #1
jeffy

Is the Hydro-boost system worth the effort?

I thought I'd post this Q on your board any feed back on hydro boost systems would be appreciated.

Howdy, I'm needing ideas/information on a braking setup. I plan to change out my 1/2 ton gear for 1 ton stuff. Thanks for any help in advance. Here's the question(s):

What are others doing to support the larger braking systems when they convert?

This is my situation. I got a good deal on a complete running 1984 1 ton chevy truck (D60 disc, 14bolt drum). I'm planning the axle converstion. I'm unsure about how to proceed with the brake system. The donor truck has hydralic assist or 'hydro boost' brake setup. It looks stout and has been factory 'engineered' to work with the 1 ton brake parts in the wheels. I think I'd like to use this hydro gear but not sure exactly what I'd be getting into - Not sure how difficult or complicated the conversiton would be. The blazer (70) has a power boost drum system so it seems unlikely mounting holes for it and the pedal assemblies would mate up with minor reworking, etc.

On top of this, I'm also looking at swapping out the auto for the 4 speed tranny. This work would require (I think) that the pedal assembly out of the 84 truck (hydralic clutch (?) be reworked somehow into the 70 balzer. Is this a seperate stand alone project or does it relate or facilitate the possiblity of re-using the hydro brakes in the older blazer?

The blazer's motor is a 350 the tranny a TH350/NP205. The donor's a 6.2 liter, it has 4 speed SM465/NP205.

Again, thanks for any info you can supply.

Jeff
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:34 AM   #2
RockHQ
ROCKET POWER!

Well the hydroboost was installed on 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks too, in fact if it had a diesel it had hydroboost. I'd say it will be a custom fit all the way on the '70 blazer. I'd also say you'll need the PS pump, brake master cylinder (hydroboost unit), pressure lines and brackets off of the '84 to begin with. How you run the brake lines from the master cylinder to the calipers&wheel cylinders is pretty much up to you.
I have hydroboost with a 700r4, so the system's not linked to a hydraulic clutch in any way, atleast in my case. And i doubt it has anything to do with that anyway.
What did i do last nite?

1979 C-10 shortfleet: Olds 350, Th400, 12 bolt
Current project: 1969 Olds 455 W-30, needing a rebuild

Last edited by RockHQ; 02-11-2003 at 08:37 AM.
RockHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
RockHQ
ROCKET POWER!

Oh yeah, you asked if it's worth it. I have to say that if you're satisfied with the stock setup now and can find new parts for it still, i'd keep it like it is. As far as i know you'll only need to change the rubber brake hoses when you switch to D60/14FF.
What did i do last nite?

1979 C-10 shortfleet: Olds 350, Th400, 12 bolt
Current project: 1969 Olds 455 W-30, needing a rebuild
RockHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 11:29 PM   #4
jeffy

Thanks RockHQ, I think I'll probably bolt the axles in - do what you suggest - just connect it to the existing powerbooster and try it out. If its good just leave it but in case its not I'll get everything off the 84:

power steering pump
ps brackets
hydro unit and mount hardware
all the brake lines and tabs

anything else you can think of?
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote