The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
chris71

quadrajet idle mixture screws all the way in

hey guys,
I have a bone stock 71 qaudrajet on a bone stock 40,000 original mileage 350. had the carb rebuilt about a year ago and I just getting the engine back together because I had the cylinder heads redone (hardened seats, one peice valves). still has the the original points style dist, the PO did the new cap, points, condenser routine. well i got her together and she is idling ok, a little rough but not bad (seems like she has a cam when she doesnt) but the main problem is a hesitation/sputter under part throttle, WOT she seems good, at highway cruise she seems fine, so i went to adjust the idle mixture screws, and did the turn in 1/2 turn until highest vacuum, but i was able to turn the screws all the way in with no change in vacuum and she will still idle okay. the timing is at 8* and the vacuum is 15, i havent got a chance to check the dwell yet, because i cant find my meter. I know a new brass float was installed, along with the rebuild. does anyone know what may be going on here?

P.S. please no qaudrajet bashing or go buy a holley/edlebrock talk, i want to keep this engine/carb/dist. setup all original and numbers matching like it is. thanks in advance for your help.
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
pumpkin

Re: quadrajet idle mixture screws all the way in

Souds like maybee the float is set to high.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Carefully check for vacuum leaks including the pcv valve and the base of the carb.

These trucks have been around for over 40 years and I'm amazed when one of them is all original since there were a lot of us that tinkered with cars and trucks back then.

The quadrajet/rochester is probably one of the most difficult carbs to get just right. It's all I've ever had on my GM cars and trucks and I've rebuilt a few but mostly just cleaning and replacing parts from kits. I also have found out that not many shops know how to rebuild these carbs. I would suggest a google search and even a YouTube search to learn as much about them as you can. Example below.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/57178/index.html

http://www.gmcws.org/Tech/quadrajet/...iles/frame.htm
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
slowgo72

funny i have the same problem on my 2 barrel rochester and rebuilt it 2 times...
been through all the timing checks nad all ok.. have not had any luck with mine either..
Old 05-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
mdwilf

I've fought some similar problems - here are a few things to check. 1. if you have too much fuel pressure, it will overwhelm the carb & it won't be depending on the low idle "circuit". 2 Look at the idle speed set screw - if it's cranked way down, you might be idling off it instead of the "low idle" & it is possible that the low idle passages (which are very small) are clogged. I had a freshly remaned carb that had set for about a year & I had to use my air gun to blow them out - carb cleaner wouldn't do it.
Do a search for a diagram & you'll see which ones they are.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ing/index.html

//vetteworks.tripod.com/qjet.htm