The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

What happens if you have bag failure?

Question to you guys that have bags...what happens if you have at least one bag go totally flat? Can you limp home 200 miles? Or are you going to need to repair on site or get a tow?

These trucks look very cool with the rockers hiding in the grass. When someone posts up pic of their rides way down low, not necessarily even laying frame, just really low, usually at least part of their ride below scrub line...everyone goes gah gah over em. Me too lol.

But when someone proposes a static drop with blocks...Its like someone cut their dash...Nooo, don't do it!!!!! Then the scrub line argument comes up...which I just don't get. I mean I understand what they are talking about, its just that no one talks scrub lines with baggers.

Either way seems like trouble waiting to happen to me.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: What happens if you have bag failure?

If you set it up 'failure' safe, it will roll. My set-up will be 1" off the tarmac @ the front frame rail @ zero psi to allow the truck to still move under worst case scenario. No scrub line issues as everythng (everything) is above the lip of the wheels.

That being said, some spare air-line, PTC butt-splices, & an extra bag are all small enough that they could fit inside most tool storage locations (within a spare tire).... just in case.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-11-2010 at 10:21 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It depends on how the suspension is set up. In most cases bag failure in the rear won't be an issue. If one fails up front it will probably cause the A-arm or crossmember to drag.

If you design the system with stops to prevent that, it will still roll. If it's only one bag, the ride would be rough but you could make it to a safe location. You wouldn't want to drive a great distance, but you can get off the road.

My 77 is a good example of this. I insisted that the bump stops be set where the truck would "roll" when aired out. That meant an inch or two compromise in height, but it will roll. I found this to be important when I had a exhaust system failure that diverted hot exhaust gas toward an air line. I lost the entire system when the line failed.

I was able to idle along the shoulder for a few miles until I came to a Rest Area. This allowed me to get to a safe spot and wait for a roll back. If I had carried a spare section of line and connectors it could have been rigged to work. Two lessons learned in one day.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

So it sounds like you guys have yours set up the smartest way possible. The guys that need to lay frame or rockers wont be as lucky.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
AVS_JASON
AIRBAGPARTS.COM

As stated above. The front is what you really need to worry about. I once blew a rear bag, and was able to drive home like normal. Now if it were the front, then I would have been in trouble. LOL.
AVS_JASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Alvin
Never Done?

I'm setting mine up to roll when aired out, and I ran the same bags all the way around so I can carry one spare. I'm planning on carrying some lengths of air line with schrader valves attached and a feed off the compressors/tanks that I can fill with if there should be a line failure between the valves and the bags. A failure in the tank system would still leave me stranded, but I don't want to carry a portable air tank all the time.

I also have a fire extinguisher in every vehicle.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

mine right now will roll with a blown front bag. I am a strong advocate of building a failsafe system.

HOWEVER, if you can drag aired out.......
pack a few 2 x 4 blocks about 4" long. raise the front enough to wedge a block between the control arm and the x member. limp to the nearest exit.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 05-11-2010 at 01:04 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
crawdadfox

Location: New Orleans Louisiana.....a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here!!!

All the air suspension failures i have seen was in the line routing and not a bag giving way. My next project will have removable bumpstops built into the the system to keep the frame off the ground in case of some failure on road trips...but easy to remove at the show for pavement abuse!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
kev2809
low n' slo

^^^ that's exactly what I was gonna say and will do to mine.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

crawdadfox you are correct, but you must prepare for unforeseen circumstances. Although bags aren't common to blow, it can happen. Something as simple as a piece of road debris can take one out so it's best to set up for "possible" failure.

Your bumpstop idea is exactly how mine is set up...

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2trux View Post
crawdadfox you are correct, but you must prepare for unforeseen circumstances. Although bags aren't common to blow, it can happen. Something as simple as a piece of road debris can take one out so it's best to set up for "possible" failure.

Your bumpstop idea is exactly how mine is set up...

:d
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
Cacti25

Thats why my bags have covers that protect the front (and rear) and I always carry extra line!

Last edited by Cacti25; 05-12-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Cacti25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Here is the old and new set up. FYI- The bag looks closer to the stop than it actually is due to the angle of the pic.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
67cheby
67cheby

here is the crazy idea i have for when i get mine going.. Take a piece of small pipe and cut a slit down the length of it two small hose clamps to hold it on the rod part of the shock(jack it up to ride height and put this piece of pipe in ,so your shock couldnt collapse), you could make one for each shock put it in a small bag and it would take up very little space..... it might just be crazy enough to work
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
nastyc10

I set my truck up to roll with no air in any of the bags, won't be able to turn though. I didn't want it to lay frame(but its darn close) for this exact reason.
nastyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Excelent thread.

My truck will roll without air, but just barley. I have blocks welded to the bottom of the frame to keep the control arms from touching the ground as well. A 2x4 in between the control arms and the cross member has always worked for me as well in a pinch.

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet is compressor failure. I have an emergency electric compressor in case my engine drien compressor fails, or if I need air and cant get the truck started. This is a lesson I learned the hard way. I also have a reguar coupler mounted on the tank for emeregency (and for working in the shop).

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Here is the old and new set up. FYI- The bag looks closer to the stop than it actually is due to the angle of the pic.
whered you get that bump stop set up? Ive seen your pic before butI dont remember If I asked you or not
Old 05-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #18
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
whered you get that bump stop set up? Ive seen your pic before but I dont remember If I asked you or not
Energy Suspension make these bumpstops in different sizes.
I get them locally at O'Reillys AUto Parts,... or Jegs an Summit Racing sell them.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
kev2809
low n' slo

i was just thinking of cutting up some square tubing and welding up the top and bottom with a bolt coming out of the bottom that screws into a welded nut on the lca. that way i can unscrew them off when i need to...no tools.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
whered you get that bump stop set up? Ive seen your pic before butI dont remember If I asked you or not
In both cases the stop it self is available through many aftermarket suppliers like lolife99 stated. The rest of it was fabricated by Roger at RPL Custom.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #21
dznucks

N2TRUX.....what is the grey linkage looking thing, below the tie rod, in the first pic????

My system will roll air'd out. I've done the same thing as smashingchuck and put schraders and quick coupler in my tanks in case my compressor quits, all Viar compressors have check valves on the pigtails. On the tank and compressor side of my system i installed 1/2" hard lines to prevent a line blow out and i put a check valve just before the valve block, in case a valve gets trashed.

If the plastic tubing running to the bags fails, i have 2 PTC couplers that have schraders in them. I can manually fill a bag this way. But all my plastic lines are protected with this stuff...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-18076/
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
N2TRUX.....what is the grey linkage looking thing, below the tie rod, in the first pic????
That's the end link for the Ride Tech muscle bar.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #23
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Question to you guys that have bags...what happens if you have at least one bag go totally flat? Can you limp home 200 miles? Or are you going to need to repair on site or get a tow?

These trucks look very cool with the rockers hiding in the grass. When someone posts up pic of their rides way down low, not necessarily even laying frame, just really low, usually at least part of their ride below scrub line...everyone goes gah gah over em. Me too lol.

But when someone proposes a static drop with blocks...Its like someone cut their dash...Nooo, don't do it!!!!! Then the scrub line argument comes up...which I just don't get. I mean I understand what they are talking about, its just that no one talks scrub lines with baggers.

Either way seems like trouble waiting to happen to me.

CG, i dont know about everyone elses ride, but i can have one bag in the rear flat and the other with 80 psi and it sits relativly flat. Same with my front.. ONe bagged aired to nothing. The other at 80psi and you can tell there is a sag but its still way beyond being fully dropped...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #24
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

just a thought of a different approach.........A friend of mine is in a wheel chair his van floor is lowered 11 inches it uses air bags to raise and lower the body to lessen the angle of the ramp going in.....when those bags blew bang down you went ,not showering sparks but loose and wiggly and no bounce in the ass end........well that's the old way the new van no air bags it has a chain set up that pulls the body down to the frame.........so when it fails it just stays up.......not down......can do /want pics?
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
just a thought of a different approach.........A friend of mine is in a wheel chair his van floor is lowered 11 inches it uses air bags to raise and lower the body to lessen the angle of the ramp going in.....when those bags blew bang down you went ,not showering sparks but loose and wiggly and no bounce in the ass end........well that's the old way the new van no air bags it has a chain set up that pulls the body down to the frame.........so when it fails it just stays up.......not down......can do /want pics?
Question # 1: Why did those bags blow (they should never blow apart)?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG