The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
lax54650

post div miniscule 68 short step build.

in aug of 08 wife wanted to go for a ride. we stumbled across this 68 short step from ok. it was at a dealer (classics and hot rods) it was stated to have come to mn. 18 yrs earlier and stored inside. inspection stickers on windshield proved that this is likely true. title says it was transfered to previous owner in 07. dealer claimed engine and tranny were good however he never tried running it. i believe he never tried because plugs were SHOT.
my first goal was get her running. new gas and filter new plugs. no go. did compression check 3 cyls had 25 psi. engine is a 305 mid eighties. thought could be junk could be stuck valve may rebuild.
after some checking i found 350 at local race engine builder. the engine came from his friends truck. it had been recently rebuilt by someone else. he got it with knock in lower end. was thrust bearing. he rebuilt bottom with used crank. new bearings, timing chain. he told me cylinders still had cross hatch from previous rebuild indicating low miles. he claimed it has mild cam but unsure. he threw in aluminum weind dual plane. for $600.
i ordered rockers floor pieces and cab corners. winshield and interior rubber, 2/4 drop springs.
a few weeks later found mcgahy (sp) drop spindles for $125 new. so then ordered 6 lug rotors calipers bearings prop valve.
i dug into it took box and front clip off and put rockers corners and floor in.
then wife found house with huge 32'x 48' heated garage. so we bought it.

wife then spent 8k in 8 wks. i discovered she has mental health issues and refused treatment. she left me with truck and house pmnt for 2 incomes.

i will post pics of what i have done so far
Attached Images

lax54650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
lax54650

Re: post div miniscule 68 short step build.

more pics seems only do 2 vat a time
Old 05-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
lax54650

Re: post div miniscule 68 short step build.

having troubl with pics
Attached Images