The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
gmc1971harwich

universal windshield washer pump

i bought a universal windshield washer pump for my 71 and installed it yesterday but i was confused as to where to wire the blue wire with the red stripe, instructions say it goes to the positive side of the wiper switch. anybody done this before that can tell me where to wire it into? theres 3 wires coming off the wiper switch which one do i use?
gmc1971harwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
chevy88

Re: universal windshield washer pump

Use a test light and see which one only gives power when you push wiper control knob in after wipers are on. This will give you power to pump when you want it.

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

From this website::::http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/electrical.html

Quote:
Two speed wipers with washers were available as optional equipment on early 60's GM vehicles. They became standard equipment in 1965 or 1966. This system still uses the same basic wiring principles as the single speed wipers. There is still a power wire that feeds the wiper motor whenever the ignition switch is on. Except now there are three wires going to the switch. The switch grounds one wire for high speed operation. Two wires are grounded for low speed operation. The third wire grounds the washer solenoid to activate the washers. Note that many '75 and later vehicles used a small electric washer fluid pump mounted to the reservoir instead of the older wiper motor driven pump.
Keep in mind that all the wires that go to the wiper switch are grounding wires and not power wires. The power to the wiper motor runs from the key switch to the fuse panel and directly to the wiper motor. If you are going to use a universal pump then the normal ground wire from the pump will go to the third ground position on the switch and the other pump wire will go to the same hot terminal that feeds the washer motor. If the universal pump motor only has one wire to it then this will be the hot wire and you will have to insulate the pump body from the mount and run your ground wire to the wiper switch terminal that activates the stock washer pump. I think I have a diagram of the stock pump wiring and if I find it I will post it.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here is the wiper motor connections in the upper left follow the yellow wire to the fuse box. The switch for the motor/ washer is in the lower diagram. It has the light blue, dark blue and black wires going to it.
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote