The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
drag_72
Ready to go fast!!

first win under my belt!

i know everyone is against street racin but i love it. i out ran a demon that dead hooked and i was spinnin through drive and still pullin him. right before i shifted into drive i was only like a car and half ahead of him and then i hooked and i was gone by 6 cars prolly. all motor no bottle
Holley Strip Dominator intake
1030cfm holley carb, 250 plate shot
roller rockers Erson Solid cam split duration 307/310.
.575/.595 lift
milodon oil pan
fab. aluminum valve covers
4 bolt main splayed anodized caps
all studded
Old 05-13-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: first win under my belt!

I think what people are against is the innocent people getting killed when you blow a tire, drop a driveline or think you are a better driver than you really are. On a 1/4 mile you hit the wall......one the street you hit people.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I will admit 'back in the day' I did my share,, I think we all have a few under our belt,, but honestly,, some things like abortion rights, gun control and street racing victories are probably not a great topic to throw out there for discussion.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
noonzor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I will admit 'back in the day' I did my share,, I think we all have a few under our belt,, but honestly,, some things like abortion rights, gun control and street racing victories are probably not a great topic to throw out there for discussion.

well put. as an emergency services employee, im first on scene when these go wrong. its not pretty.

theres a reason tracks hold "street legal" events these days.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=360622
Old 05-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
drag_72
Ready to go fast!!

i wasnt throwing anything out for discussion, this is a racing and high performance forum. yes i understand its dangerous. but look at Elk city drags people are everywhere! this was me and one other guy out in the middle of the country on Rt. 66 with open pastures on both sides. alls i was sayin that it felt good to have a first win first race with the truck.
.575/.595 lift
milodon oil pan
all studded
Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
drag_72
Ready to go fast!!

and in the 1/4 mile 2 years ago i saw a complete tube chassis 55 nomad wreck at 165 mph.. it didnt hit the wall, it hit the top of the light poles so either way i dont think it is that much different. except its illegal yes
.575/.595 lift
milodon oil pan
all studded
Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
team39763

Congrats on the win, but be careful bro. You put a lot of time and money into your ride, I'd hate to see something happen to it or to you. I quit street racing a couple years ago. I had to avenge a couple losses and then I called it quits. I realized that street racing wasn't worth it to me. It sounds like you were about as safe as you could be on the street though. Just be careful man.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
noonzor

haha k first off, this is a message board/forum. if your posting something, your putting it up for discussion. now to the point.....

sorry, but your not gonna win for saying street racing is just as dangerous as track driving. granted, this is a dangerous sport, we all know and understand that.

the difference between the race track and the street is simple, bystanders walking down the street dont expect vehicles in excess of 90mph to be cruisin around.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I think that's the big thing. People do get hurt at race tracks but they choose and pay to be there. I can tell you this.....That little boy in my avitar pic is my world and If he or any one of my family members is either hurt or killed because of a street racer...I'll make sure that person isn't around to make it to their first court appearance.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
ripdog28

Guys remember, Drag72 is 19yo. His dad trusts him to have 500+hp (Mistake possibly) he can not be told he is wrong just like most of us couldnt when we were 19. He has the balls of a bull and is the best driver around his parts. All i know is i have seen and known a few guys 18, 19, 20, 21 who thought just like him and they are now dead because of their driving/riding skills. IMO, very few 19yo should be handed a 500HP anything for the street. You have to respect something like that. You could have easily went sideways while spinning next to the guy and hit him or lost it and rolled. Track is much safer, you have inspections, surface is diffrent, rules. Dont even compare the two.

Drag72: dont take it personal, your young and still learning, anything you say about skills; whatnot just proves my point. Listen to those who have far more experience and dont make excuses. Excuses just prove your immature, take the advise and practice it. A little tire spinning (On your own) is fine but racing is another thing.
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Alright....I'll back off now but I have to tell a quick story......

I was FLYING down a road when I was almost exactly that same age. People on side roads, you see, are expecting cross traffic to be doing the speed limit. A guy pulled out in front of me and I really had to get on the brakes to keep from hitting hit. What I didn't know was that I had also just went through a speed trap about 3 blocks back. I did get pulled over by a cop and this guy had turned around and came back. While I was getting the ticket, The man pulled up to the window and was absolutely screaming his head off at me while the office watched. He showed me his son in the car seat in the back and said that I was the luckiest kid because the officer got to me before he could. I was so scared I about started to cry. It really looked like this guy would have beat me to death.

I think the bottom line is that we all do stupid and I mean stupid stuff at 19. Please just remember that things CAN HAPPEN that will change your life and the lives of the victims for EVER. There is also a charge called manslaughter and you will got to jail for it. Jail is not a good place for a 19 yr old to be.

Sorry to be so harsh. If you are blessed someday to have a family, this will all make sense.

Last edited by prostreetC-10; 05-14-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

This kinda angers me as street racing is an on going problem . You guys get on here and slam him for street racing and i post a thread to try and curb the problem and get no support/ opinions . Sorry for the rant .
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=401958
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583

Last edited by hotrod 80; 05-14-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
noonzor

sorry hotrod_80, didnt see yours. just commented though! haha

Old 05-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
CoggedBelt75

Aahh, youth. Ten foot tall and bullet proof. My ride is faster and better than your ride. I'm sure the majority of us has already experenced this time in our life and wonder how we made it thru. If only I had then (1973) what I have now, I would've showed everyone a thing or two. But being real, it was a good thing all I could afford back then was a little tunnel-rammed 327 in the '69 Chevelle. With the onset of age, my mentality and common sense evloved. I no longer feel that I have to prove that I'm the baddest thing on 4 wheels, tho for the last 10 years, I am tested on a daily basis at every light I happen to catch. And these aren't from the "fast" cars or trucks that are plentyful in this town and are mostly driven by older guys, but kids in anything from a euro to an old farm truck. If only they knew how annoying and foolish this to me. Two people all alone racing each other on a desserted road is one thing, But to even think about doing it on a city street is pure stupidity in my book. As for the original post of this thread, I can totally relate to drag_72. That is for sure a feel good moment. This particular subject may be fine to mention in that circle of people, but in mixed company, it is a touchy subject and is sure to bring about some very touchy responses. I don't support street racing, even if it is a "controlled" gathering. Anything can go down the street, but on the track, if your ride isn't technically up to snuff you won't be making the trip. Hope drag_72 doesn't take all this as a personal attack against him. Just the wisdom and experiences from some of the "older guys".
Sorry for the long post, just 3 cents worth of rambling.

"Questions are a sign of intelligence indicating a desire to eliminate ignorance"

Last edited by CoggedBelt75; 05-14-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
ProStreet68SB
The Engine Whisperer

Just remember street racing is Illegal. Dont say you'll never get caught... its just a matter of time before you get caught. Keep it on the track and off the street. Be smart. Be one of the better people that actually makes our age group look like it has a chance in life.

BTW. Your first win is your first loss also. You lose respect when talking about street racing in my opinion. Heres the congrats you wanted. Congratulations... you accomplished absolutely nothing.

Nickey

Last edited by ProStreet68SB; 05-14-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #16
midevil1
ShortBus KingPin

I hope somebody learned their lesson in starting a thread like this...??? I am sure Drag72 is a good kid. Street racing was cool in the 90's. I have been to exactly 3 funerals since then and it is NOT cool anymore. BTW. Closed Casket funerals.......I know words dont help much, but try to imagine your 2 closest friends with their heads spun around the other direction and the other missing..??? And you watch this all happen in real time. Real eye opener.

2008 GMC Yukon DENALI, 425 AWHP, 5700LBS, 12.40's at 109mph. (Her RIDE)

2006 Kawasaki Brute Force, 916cc, 80 shot, 6.20's at 111 mph. (Her RIDE)

Last edited by midevil1; 05-14-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #17
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

I've had my day runs/nights out.....but now days you just have to accept/offer up a challenge to the guy to meet at the local dragstrip to settle it...winner gets bragging rights, $$$, pinks, whatever....

I should mention thats what I'm building mine for. An occasional cruiser and weekend track truck...just for fun.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken

Last edited by 68GMCCustom; 05-14-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #18
drag_72
Ready to go fast!!

okay blah blah im 19.. i know any thing is possible. im not gonna argue with anyone because i know street racing is dangerous and S*hit goes wrong. and yes i know what its like to see your best friend die from high speed car accidents. its happend to me 4 times actually one best friend after another. but the thing is i know i shouldnt be doing it but im not afraid to die... its part of life. and yes all family and friends would be devistated but LIFE happens, you live, you die. no i dont think i have the baddest ride because i know for a fact i dont. honestly i dont care what the people are saying that are bashing me because you are just making yourself look stupid. also there were no people around. like i said no cross roads, houses, people, telephone poles, nothing. and no i dont believe my dad made a mistake by letting me have a 500+ motor. its not his call, im 19 i live on my own so therefore i can build what i want. prostreet68SB... i dont want any respect or congrats from anyone on here. it felt good myself to have a first win. so congrats to you too
.575/.595 lift
milodon oil pan
all studded

Last edited by powerdriver 1958; 05-14-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #19
drag_72
Ready to go fast!!

ripdog... and a little tire spinning on your own huh? i belive you have a video on the street? and there are cars around. practice what you preach buddy. and ur a cop huh?
.575/.595 lift
milodon oil pan
all studded
Old 05-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #20
ripdog28

WOW, You dont care if you die? What do you know about life? And my video is a little tire spinning and got up to 50 max not RACING, how fast did you get to? two diffrent things. I hope you learn fast because you got a ****ty attitude. It is all advise and your getting pissy, shows your immaturity. I also have 15 years of driving under my belt (licensed) probly 5 more driving farm trucks, how many you have 3? A lot more comes into play then just the vehicle. I as well as everyone else has admitted to doing this same thing, we have gone through a lot more then you also. We are giving ADVISE we learned from our mistakes and others, If you have several friends who have died in accidents related to racing/high speed and you have not learned then your destined for failure. It isnt only you dieing, How about you becoming paralized for life? I bet you would be rethinking your outlook on life then when you have a colon bag attached to you. Again, not arguing just wish someone as into this as you would have a better attitude so you can make it in life without praying for goodluck. I really hope you the best in life as well as your family but your attitude sucks.
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.

Last edited by ripdog28; 05-14-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #21
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

You wanted comments, possibly positive ones or you would have never posted it.....plain and simple. I just don't think you were prepared for the ZERO atta-boys. You are right that we don't know the conditions it went down in, but it's like pissing in a really strong head wind.....the more this thread continues, the uglier it is going to get.

You can't get to 42 yrs old without passing though 19. However, it's not possible to have the wisdom of a 42 yr old if you are only 19. There's an old saying "you don't know what you don't know" Make sense? I heard it once said that at 19, you don't know your A$$ from a hole in the ground.

I clicked on your avitar and that looks like one nasty truck. The not caring about dying will change when you have something to live for. You are one of us on this board and we are just trying to give you something to think about even though the different approaches might not be working. Probably the best thing to do at this point is to maybe thank a few for their concerns and just go on doing what you are going to do.

Whatever you do.....don't google street racing......
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #22
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Street racing is Illegal and will not be promoted here. Thread closed
Closed Thread