The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

How crucial is a thermostat, really?

Today, I decide it's time to replace all the coolant hoses and the thermostat. So I flush the radiator and take off the thermostat housing. And to my amazement, there's no thermostat!

Bought the truck from a guy in Waco about 18 months ago, he never mentioned it needed one. And I drove it all summer last year, and it made it through one of the hottest, driest summers we've had in a long time. I had always watched the temp gauge start edging up towards the 200 mark, but just figured, the thermostat was stuck open. Never would have guessed it wasn't even there.

Tomorrow, I'm going to pickup all the new hoses, cap, and thermostat. So, any ideas as what part number is for a GM Goodwrench 350 for a 175 degree stat?

Actually, a little bit of me, last summer, wanted the motor to cry uncle, just so I could give the wife and excuse to go through it!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
RckyMntnKng

Re: How crucial is a thermostat, really?

Correct me if im wrong, but I always thought a T-stat stays closed (No coolant circulating) until it reaches the temp rating it needs to open and let coolant into the motor / out to the radiator / and cool back down.

IE - If you have no T-stat at all then your engine is constantly circulating and cooling and in a hot dry summer over 100 it would be open all the time anyway if actually installed and working.

Without a T-stat it would definately take longer to get the motor up the correct and best operating temp and heater etc if you lived in a cooler place.

Last edited by RckyMntnKng; 05-13-2010 at 07:11 PM.
RckyMntnKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

I had an old 57 that ran hot during the summer when i was a kid, my dad told me to pull the therm during the summer and i ran that truck for years that way?, in the winter i had little to no heat.
VanceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
71swb4x4

I don't know if this could ever be an issue, but if you have no thermostat, would it be possible to push water through the radiator too fast? Fast enough that the radiator isn't cooling the water thoroughly?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

I know people up North don't do it because of the infective heater issue, but I have done it on numerous old farm trucks over the years and never had any issues. They stay cool in the summer and heat up plenty good for our winters. It might not do you any good, but on a carbureted engine I'm pretty sure it would never hurt anything.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Longblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
I don't know if this could ever be an issue, but if you have no thermostat, would it be possible to push water through the radiator too fast? Fast enough that the radiator isn't cooling the water thoroughly?
It is a bad idea not to run one......I didn't have one in a Drag Truck I owned...but, it only went down the track..nod idling in traffic. The water in the radiator will not have time to cool... You can run em' w/o one but I wouldn't do it with something I drive on the streets.....
Longblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RckyMntnKng View Post
Correct me if im wrong, but I always thought a T-stat stays closed (No coolant circulating) until it reaches the temp rating it needs to open and let coolant into the motor / out to the radiator / and cool back down.

IE - If you have no T-stat at all then your engine is constantly circulating and cooling and in a hot dry summer over 100 it would be open all the time anyway if actually installed and working.

Without a T-stat it would definately take longer to get the motor up the correct and best operating temp and heater etc if you lived in a cooler place.
I believe you are correct. But the only limiting factor, as stated above by 71swb4x4, is that the water gets pushed through the radiator so fast it doesn't get cooled and is then fed back into the hot engine where it does no good to cool down the internal engine temperature. Having a functional thermostat is definitely a necessity on a daily driven (summer time only) vehicle.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Run the thermostat and continue to service your cooling system.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

Today I got $153 worth of parts, including a 180° t-stat, upper/lower hoses, new cap, t-stat housing and coolant, and 4 new high/low beam headlights installed. Hopefully that will cure the ups and downs of the temperature curve this summer!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #10
elks

Run it. The person that said those north do not use them is wrong. Usually we run the warmest one we can find. We also tend to use some cardboard to slow the cooling down in the coldest points.

The thermostat is necessary to keep the engine running at optimal temps. As mentioned, no thermostat may run it too cool.

Also longer engines from front to back are said to have really wild temp issues without a thermostat. I have read that the AMC inline 6 258(popular jeep motor) will burn up the back cylinder if it is ran too long without a stat because the t stat is needed to create enough pressure to send the fluid all the way back to the rear of the block.
elks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by elks View Post
Run it. The person that said those north do not use them is wrong. Usually we run the warmest one we can find. We also tend to use some cardboard to slow the cooling down in the coldest points.
I think you are talking about my first post and I think you misread it. I said that people up north don't do it as in they don't REMOVE the thermostat. I then went on to explain that the heater won't work properly in those conditions without one.

Anyway, I am a little confused CapnHook, you start this thread by asking the question how crucial a thermostat is, then in post 7 you answer and say that it is "definitely a necessity". I'm not trying to be rude but I'm confused why you asked in the first place??? Maybe I misunderstood something, it happens to me quite often.

Also, I stand by my original statement. When I first read this question I took it to ask how crucial is a thermostat in South/Central Texas. I will answer it again the same way, I don't feel that it is "crucial" to a decent running carburated 350 in our part of the world. I DO feel the same way as others that it is in the best interest to run a thermostat in a daily driver, BUT I have yet to hear of a truck around here having ANY damage by NOT having one. If someone has heard of a small block Chevy (in these climates) having troubles due to this I would love to hear about it for my own knowledge.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com

Last edited by Critter; 05-15-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
elks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I think you are talking about my first post and I think you misread it. I said that people up north don't do it as in they don't REMOVE the thermostat. I then went on to explain that the heater won't work properly in those conditions without one.

Your right, now that I read it I realize what you were saying.
elks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

I agree, not crucial, but definitely recommended.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #14
71RestoRod

You always want the engine running at temp. A cold motor is less efficient but more concerning is the condensation that tends to build up inside the block, creating sludge, rust and generally speaking an unhealthy operating environment.

It's also true that engines can run cooler with thermostats installed. It just depends... I've seen this first hand with flathead Fords which are notorious for running hot. The water pumps circulate coolant so fast that the radiator doesn't have a chance to do it's job. We slow down the flow by installing thermostats, restrictors, etc. I've seen some guys get the best results by cutting back the impellers on the water pumps.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

Critter, I guess I asked the question in the first place to bring up the importance of the thermostat in an engine. More of a rhetorical question! Didn't mean to confuse anyone, but some people don't realize how the cooling system actually works, possibly?

Because my engine didn't have one, the coolant wasn't actually able to cool the engine in the correct way it was meant to, had it had a thermostat installed! I still stand by my statement that it is "definitely a necessity" in order to hold steady the coolant temperature, rather than have the instability of running without one. If you have ever driven the Hill Country area north and west of SA on hot 100 degree plus days with A/C, you'd consider a thermostat "definitely a necessity" as well.

Last edited by Cap'n Hook; 05-15-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Cap'n Hook is offline   Reply With Quote