The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
bitchin85

im getting tired of this...

so my luck is terrible.. my tranny started leaking a while back. first just a drop or two then puddles.. so i changed the trans pan gasket and filter and rear output shaft.. twice. still leaked. turns out the tcs sensor or something like that was broke and leaking too. i got it plugged and everything was fine and dandy.. for about a week till i looked under my truck this morning and saw a 3x3 foot puddle of tranny fluid in my driveway... the fluids coming out of the end of the yoke.. ive never seen a leak like this before.. the u-joint is covered in fluid and the fluid is just running out of the center of the yoke going into the tailstock.. does anyone know how to fix this so i can get this rig back on the road? whatever i need to buy/do and if its deep or just a quick fix? thanks in advance guys
Old 05-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
cableguy0

Re: im getting tired of this...

The best most permanent fix is to pull the yoke. remove it from the driveshaft and weld the hole shut. i think theres an o ring on the tail shaft with that style yoke. its a small hole just weld it shut.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I'm pretty sure that the hole is there for a reason. It allows the yoke to slip on the tail shaft with out greating pressure or vacuum as the space inside grows/shrinks during it's travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Edgel82c10

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/yokeleak.htm
Awesome write up on this.
Edgel82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
bitchin85

I have acouple driveshafts layingaround.. Will itreally hurt anything if I weld it up for now until I feel liketearing the tailstock off to change the seal? I need itfor a dd for a few more weeks before I'm building the motor. Ill problychange that thentoo.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
cableguy0

A lot of yokes dont have it though. And I have never seen an issue with the ones that dont have the yoke with the hole in it. Is this a 2 piece or 1 piece driveshaft? Does it have a slip yoke on the back part of the shaft? If its a 2 piece shaft with carrier bearing. The yoke cannot move in or out of the transmission anyhow so pressure buildup wouldnt be an issue.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
bitchin85

it dont have a slip yoke on the back part. only going into the trans of course.. its a long bedwith a one peice. o ya its 2wd. i took it out and welded it up, and it stopped leaking. i found a rebuilt th350 with a ****f kit and a stall convertor with the lockout torque for 500 bucks.. its a co-workers so ill probly snatch that up when i get my vortec build done with.. but is it or is it not bad on the trans like this? everything seemed fine when i drove it..
Old 05-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
gmclowsierra

i was told to jb weld mine shut. that was 10000 miles ago
gmclowsierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
bitchin85

good to know... i just got a welding rod down the center of the yoke and welded her shut. stopped leaking but i wasnt sure if it would hurt. good to know it wont hurt