The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
71enthusiast

Edelbrock Carb?

What type of edelbrock carburetor should I get for my 1971 350 chevy?
71enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
68 c10 ls2

Re: Edelbrock Carb?

i would stay away from Edelbrock carbs. I never had any luck with them. I would use a Holley or Demon. a 650 should be about right for you.
68 c10 ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
indiandog

1406 600cfm
indiandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
joes50pu

The newer Edelbrocks are fine. I would say a 600 to 650. They are ready to run right out of the box for a stock motor.
joes50pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
jamie72

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiandog View Post
1406 600cfm
this one.....

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 c10 ls2 View Post
i would stay away from Edelbrock carbs. I never had any luck with them. I would use a Holley or Demon. a 650 should be about right for you.
I've only had trouble out of them myself. But if your stuck on using an edelbrock get the 1406 600cfm.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!

Last edited by BarryB; 05-16-2010 at 08:12 PM.
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
kgt

Need more info...is it a stock 350....a 500 hp 350....etc...if its a stock one and you must have a eddy carb, use a 1406.
kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

It is your choice, but I have run the Carter and the Edelbrock AFB design carbs for quite some time (Believe it or not, they are the exact same carb design) and managed to find the right combination for driving on the highway with them. I have had good luck with them.

If you are running a basically stock engine and want to get around without a lot of problems, then you might consider an Edelbrock 600 CFM or 650 CFM size. Many want to go right to the 750 or 800 CFM sizes but that size can cause problems with your performance and not gain ANY fuel milage.

As I stated, I have run the AFBs for awhile and I did try the 750 cfm size on my 383 stroker engine in my 84 GMC---the carb created one heck of a tall top end ability---allowing me to run up to the 6000 RPMs without any loss of fuel, but drivning around citiy streets it caused my engine to bog and slobber badly. I then communicated with several carb manufacturers (Holley, Edelbrock, and Barry Grant) and their recommendation was: For a heavier vehicle (my truck weighs in around 4000 lbs) a smaller CFM rating will give you better air flow velocity. That is what makes the engine work more efficiently not the overall carb size. They were all in agreement and so I went to a 650 CFM Edelbrock AVS carb and even though I lost some top end RPMs (Not much) I now have a carb that runs my engine well on the street. The gaggle about whether or not to run a vacuum secondary is a worthwhile consideration, but as I also stated, I worked out the needle and jet combinations on my carb to where the issue is not a problem with the mechanical secondarys on my truck.

What you buy is your choice, but be smart in carb size and don't overdo it. I have a stroker engine in my truck and my son has a stock 350 in his truck and we are running smaller carbs to get the daily driving ease, but the two trucks do run quite well.

Last edited by piecesparts; 05-16-2010 at 08:21 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
It is your choice, but I have run the Carter and the Edelbrock AFB design carbs for quite some time (Believe it or not, they are the exact same carb design) and managed to find the right combination for driving on the highway with them. I have had good luck with them.

If you are running a basically stock engine and want to get around without a lot of problems, then you might consider an Edelbrock 600 CFM or 650 CFM size. Many want to go right to the 750 or 800 CFM sizes but that size can cause problems with your performance and not gain ANY fuel milage.

As I stated, I have run the AFBs for awhile and I did try the 750 cfm size on my 383 stroker engine in my 84 GMC---the carb created one heck of a tall top end ability---allowing me to run up to the 6000 RPMs without any loss of fuel, but drivning around citiy streets it caused my engine to bog and slobber badly. I then communicated with several carb manufacturers (Holley, Edelbrock, and Barry Grant) and their recommendation was: For a heavier vehicle (my truck weighs in around 4000 lbs) a smaller CFM rating will give you better air flow velocity. That is what makes the engine work more efficiently not the overall carb size. They were all in agreement and so I went to a 650 CFM Edelbrock AVS carb and even though I lost some top end RPMs (Not much) I now have a carb that runs my engine well on the street. The gaggle about whether or not to run a vacuum secondary is a worthwhile consideration, but as I also stated, I worked out the needle and jet combinations on my carb to where the issue is not a problem with the mechanical secondarys on my truck.

What you buy is your choice, but be smart in carb size and don't overdo it. I have a stroker engine in my truck and my son has a stock 350 in his truck and we are running smaller carbs to get the daily driving ease, but the two trucks do run quite well.

It really sounds like you have done a lot of research and are very knowledgeable of carbs and which one should be used for different engines.

I figured since you are so informed I would ask what carb would be good for my '73 stock 454 with headers.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
jiggityjoe87

I recently installed a 1406 edelbrock 600 cfm elec. choke carb on my stock 350 in my 70' suburban. I am pleased with the performance of the carb and have had no problems so far. I would recomend it for a stock engine it would work very well
jiggityjoe87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
mclairmo

I only run Holleys and never had a single problem. They run awesome right out of the box and are very forgiving of variables like engine size, cam, intake manifold, exhaust system, etc. unlike Edelbrock carbs that need a lot of loving and massaging to make them work right.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
mikajo39
Gearhead and audio junkie

Never really had luck with my 1406, never jetted it right, always ran lean. Never could justify buying a jet kit which cost 1/4 of the cost of the carb. Buy a holley 4160 600 cfm with vacuum secondaries, you'll be much happier with it.
mikajo39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #13
kgt

If people have a stock or mild street engine, nothing beats a reconditioned factory quadrajet, the small primary butterflies will give you much better fuel mileage than any aftermarket carb, more so if you find one that came off a small block. they are calibrated for that engine, unlike a aftermarket carb that will have a generic fuel curve that will work "ok" on all, also the fact that the driveability will be better and there is no goofing around with trying to make things work.
kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
70jnktrk

1406 ...you will like it!
Attached Images

70jnktrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #15
wheel

I just installed a 1406 600 cfm on my 1971 stock 350 and love it! Next step Edelbrock performer series intake! Gained 2 mpg on my daily driver.

Just my .02
wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
D-Rat

I recently installed a 1406 and still have intermittent slight power loss after the engine is warm - the engine just doesn't want to rev. I'm thinking the issue is something else though and I've been scratching my head to figure out what.

www.nissan4wheelers.com
D-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #17
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Holley... or go home...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #18
D-Rat

I took the backfiring flooding Holley off.

www.nissan4wheelers.com
Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #19
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
It really sounds like you have done a lot of research and are very knowledgeable of carbs and which one should be used for different engines.

I figured since you are so informed I would ask what carb would be good for my '73 stock 454 with headers.

Danny
The carb size depends on two things---what is your Volumetric Efficiency on your engine and what RPM do you want to run at. For the most part, the stock to mild engine is gong to be around 85% efficiency and the RPMs would not be more than 5000 to 5500. That puts your carb size at 650 CFM. There woudl be a tendency to overcarb the engine and go for the maximum RPMs, but the carb will ruin the low end torque. If it was me, I would look at a Vacuum secondary carb, if you want a very smooth transition and little or no work to make the carb function. I have that with my Edelbrock AVS 650, but others will disagree. I did some needle and jet changes, with little investment to get there and the carb works great for daily driving. I plan on doing the HRPT this year with it.

See Attached http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/carb_cfm.htm
Old 05-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
BP68

I put a edelbrock 650 Thunder series AVS carb on my 68 with a 350 built similar to a 330 hp gm crate motor and ran great right out of the box.

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #21
71enthusiast

If i do get a 1406 600 cfm edelbrock carb then do i need to get a new intake manifold to fit it?
71enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
'72customdeluxe

'77+ quadrajet
Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #23
bigguy69
dazed and confused

i have an edelbrock carb, and to be honest i dont know how to adjust it. it takes spells where it will flood and then if you get on it it will act like it is running out of gas. i took it apart and cleaned it, checked the float level and still have problems. it dosenet do it all the time it just takes spells. but when it is in a good mood it runs great. does anybody got any tips on how to adjust or rebuild one of these things? sorry i didnt mean to hijack.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #24
D-Rat

Well, I think I fixed my issue. Turned out I think it was a vacuum leak. The nuts holding the carb down had backed off a little bit and needed tightened. Suddenly the fast idle doesn't jump up so much on a cold start and the truck runs well when hot.

I love it when it's easy.

www.nissan4wheelers.com
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #25
silverstreak

I've worked with Quadrajets, Holleys and Edelbrocks and they are all fine carbs. Everyone has their favorite style of music and it's the same with carburetors. It's all just a matter of what someone is used to and what they prefer for their own personal reasons. All three brands have been used on mild street motors and high horsepower engines as well.
Your original question was "What type of edelbrock carburetor should I get for my 1971 350 chevy?" I agree that the 1406 (or Thunder series version) would probably be the best choice out of the Edelbrock line if your engine is a mild to stock build. Every engine is different, so don't be suprised if it will need a bit of tuning to get it just right.
silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote