The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
highwater86

Brake booster with single piston master cyl?

I have a 65 C-10 and was wondering if I could use my stock, single piston master cylinder with a brake booster? I am planning on doing a disk brake swap in the future, and was wondering if I could do this for now to help out. I have read that you can get a master cylinder for a truck with power drum brakes factory, and make it work by splitting the brake lines. The only issue there for me is the fact that I'm cheap, and would like to make the parts I already have work, instead of buying new stuff.
Thanks, B. Flood
Attached Images

highwater86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
burbguy

Re: Brake booster with single piston master cyl?

You can add the power booster to your stock master cylinder. I have a 66 custom cab with the single master cyl, mounted up with a power booster.

1966 short fleet 230 I-6 three in the tree (daily driver)
1966 short fleet big block th400 (building slowly)
1972 c10 3 door suburban 350 th350 (building faster than slowly)
2004 F250 power stroke (not dependable enough to be a daily driver)
2005 Kenworth T-800 Heavy Haul tractor (that's my true daily driver)
burbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
highwater86

SWEET ! I have an 87 donor truck that i was going to jack the front crossmember and more than likely power steering set-up off of. How much modification do I have to do to the brake pedal rod for this swap? Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
burbguy

I'm not sure about the brake pedal rod, but I think one of the other board members could give you more insight into that... As far as the power steering swap thats a fairly easy conversion to do, although you would need the power steering box adapter plate kit (made by captainfab on this board)... look up his name and he's got the link to get one of the kits directly from him. Anyways take lots of pics, and keep us posted with your progress...

GOOD LUCK

1966 short fleet 230 I-6 three in the tree (daily driver)
1966 short fleet big block th400 (building slowly)
1972 c10 3 door suburban 350 th350 (building faster than slowly)
2004 F250 power stroke (not dependable enough to be a daily driver)
2005 Kenworth T-800 Heavy Haul tractor (that's my true daily driver)
burbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
highwater86

Yeah, I've been eyeballing his plates on a couple of the other threads. As far as pics, I usually do thing spur of the moment, and never have a cam with me, I'll see what I can do though. I know i personally enjoy seeing everyone elses progress on their builds...
Old 05-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You should be able to use your original single reservior master on a power booster. It may require a custom length pushrod between the booster and master, I can't say for sure. One issue you will run into, is interference with your air cleaner. On the '60-'66 trucks that had factory power brakes, the booster and master assembly was angled sideways away from the engine. On the '67 and later trucks, the 6 cyl trucks with power brakes had an air cleaner that was offset towards the passenger side. It's not a huge issue, but I wanted to make you aware of it. As for the pushrod, you will need to lengthen the one on the booster. What I've done and what I suggest to my customers, is grafting the original pushrod to the rod on the booster. Of course this will require welding. If you don't have the capability of welding, you could cut the pieces to the proper length and then take the booster to a qualified welder.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 05-17-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
highwater86

Thanks Captain, I can handle the welding part of it. I was hoping it would be a bolt on setup. Its all gravy though, no worries... By the way, how much are you power steering plates?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The power steering adapter plates are $60.00 shipped. There is a link in my sig down below this text....just click on the HERE in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater86 View Post
Thanks Captain, I can handle the welding part of it. I was hoping it would be a bolt on setup. Its all gravy though, no worries... By the way, how much are you power steering plates?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #9
highwater86

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll get back with you on the plate later. My budget is tight right now and I'm opting to buy a few tools this weekend. I'll also be needing a power steering pump bracket for my I6. If anyone has one tucked away somewhere, please let me know.