The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Thunderalley72

CPP Front Suspension rebuild kits

I'm just starting the restoration of my 72 GMC and I want to do it right the first time. I've seen CPP's ad in Classic Trucks magazine. The price seem's to be very fair for what come's in the kit, but is the quality there also. Basicly, I am trying to find out if anyone has used their front suspension kit. And, what if any positive or negative experience's they had. All help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited by Thunderalley72; 05-18-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Thunderalley72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
68 c10 ls2

Re: CPP Front Suspension rebuild kits

Yes i have thier kit in my truck. Front and rear lowering, brakes and steering. If i had to do it all over again i would buy from someone else. I have to many problems with that stuff. Just check out this link about my brakes i posted. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=cpp
68 c10 ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

I'm on the fence here. I got their modular spindles/brake kit/front end rebuild/grand slam/etc, and bought it all at the same time. The ball joints don't appear to be the same brand, as they have different bolts on either side, and I stripped multiple bolts that were supposedly 8.8 hardness with just a 1/2" open end wrench - which scared me and I bought true 8.8's from the specialty screw store. The spindles seem nice, the tie rods ends were nice and fit flawlessly with the stock items. The brake kit wasn't 100% and had to wait for missing parts to be sent, but Jeff was on it. It still needed multiple fittings to match up with the stock system and I eventually gave up and just ran new lines. I still think there is air in the system, even after bleeding the brakes 4 times with a Motive power bleeder - a first indeed in all the brake jobs I have done, as they still feel like crap and I am scared at every hill/stop sign...not good...The springs and doetsch tech shocks seem nice and ride well, however I think the HD springs I requested were not sent and I got the stock spring weight ones(but how would I know?), as the back sure is bouncy and not what I expected from a HD spring. We'll see how it load with dirtbikes and gear...All in all I would say I am 75% satisified from their parts - some are great, others not so much. The tubular tranny mount is nice as well, but it seems to be hit and miss with some things. I am debating on pulling the trigger on a power steering conversion kit from them, as it does seem the most complete, but I am a little leary...I dunno what to say...
Beatcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
leddzepp

When it comes to suspension/brake parts, I like to put my hands on the parts before I buy them. There are so many different components that it is EASY for a company to screw up a mail order. Time lost there, and it can be very frustrating when you make the time to do the job, and don't have all the correct parts.

Make a list of all the parts you need (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc) take it to a local parts house and compare Moog with their house brand. I bought all my front end stuff from Star auto and their brand (Partsmaster) were USA made, and identical to Moog at about 1/3 the price.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:43 AM   #5
mclairmo

There is a big difference between Chinese/Taiwanese suspension parts and USA made stuff. Whatever you do, stick with the USA made stuff, it sure seems much better to me after I compared the two.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
djmachinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcoaster View Post
I'm on the fence here. I got their modular spindles/brake kit/front end rebuild/grand slam/etc, and bought it all at the same time. The ball joints don't appear to be the same brand, as they have different bolts on either side, and I stripped multiple bolts that were supposedly 8.8 hardness with just a 1/2" open end wrench - which scared me and I bought true 8.8's from the specialty screw store. The spindles seem nice, the tie rods ends were nice and fit flawlessly with the stock items. The brake kit wasn't 100% and had to wait for missing parts to be sent, but Jeff was on it. It still needed multiple fittings to match up with the stock system and I eventually gave up and just ran new lines. I still think there is air in the system, even after bleeding the brakes 4 times with a Motive power bleeder - a first indeed in all the brake jobs I have done, as they still feel like crap and I am scared at every hill/stop sign...not good...The springs and doetsch tech shocks seem nice and ride well, however I think the HD springs I requested were not sent and I got the stock spring weight ones(but how would I know?), as the back sure is bouncy and not what I expected from a HD spring. We'll see how it load with dirtbikes and gear...All in all I would say I am 75% satisified from their parts - some are great, others not so much. The tubular tranny mount is nice as well, but it seems to be hit and miss with some things. I am debating on pulling the trigger on a power steering conversion kit from them, as it does seem the most complete, but I am a little leary...I dunno what to say...
If you lowered your truck, you made need to get the rear shock re-locator kit which stands the rear shocks back up to have the correct shock geometry. I lowered my truck using CPP springs and the Doetsch shocks. The rear end was bouncing all over the place with no shock dampening at all due to the laid down shock angle after lowering the truck. I installed the CPP shock relocator kit and what a difference! The kit is easy to install. The new brackets bolt back in the same holes the old brackets were reveted to. The hardest thing to do is drilling out the old revets.

Dale

MY BUILD THREAD: "69 GMC SHORT FLEET"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=388447
djmachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

The shock angle doesn't seem bad, there is no bouncing and they do work correctly I think. My fear is that I didn't get the HD springs since they don't seem any beefier than stock and compress more than I envisioned for an "HD" spring....
Beatcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote