The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
frednoah
86 Scottsdale

Master Cylinder Recommendation

I recently bought a 69 C10 Shortbed. It's got a 350 with unknown cam that isn't making sufficient vacuum (10-12") to operate the power drum brakes.

I am not going to tear into a good running engine, and I have read the reserve canisters aren't worth the cash. Don't want a vacuum pump, so I figure I'll convert to manual brakes.

Anyone have a recommendation on a 4 wheel manual drum master that I could put in so it would be safe to drive while I save for a manual disc conversion? I want to drive the truck, but it is a BIG handful without the boosters assist.

Thanks,
Fred
frednoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Master Cylinder Recommendation

Just buy a stock master cylinder for your 69 truck. That's a factory 4 wheel drum application and it's made for your application.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
cparman
sharp as a marble

You are correct in that 10-12" of vacuum is not enough. I think the number is 17". In stop and go traffic with a power brake set up I would think that you would loose your power assist. I am currently trying to sort out a car that has 7" of vacuum. With a dual diapham 8" booster the first stop is good, but after that is is poor in stop and go traffic. You MIGHT be ok, as long as you know what you are dealing with.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
flashed

I would suggest you get in touch with Frank (pickmup) in Washington State and see if one of his kits might help you. My 72 has a 350 with a cam also ,Frank built me a kit for a 3/4 ton truck and it stopps better than my 96 Explorer w/4 wheel disc .Mine is a shortbed 1/2 ton truck .Im sure he could tell you if it would work for you with that amount of vacuum and his prices are great. He is a great guy to deal with too.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote